- The influences of cultivation method on inflorescence lipid distributions, concentrations, and carbon isotope ratios of Cannabis sp., Forensic Science International, 262, 233-241. Published, 05/16/2016.
- Predicting leaf wax n-alkane 2H/1H ratios: controlled water source and humidity experiments with hydroponically grown trees confirm predictions of Craig-Gordon model, Plant, Cell and Environment, 38, 6, 1035-1047. Published, 01/15/2015.
- Isolation of the strontium pools and isotope ratios in modern human hair, Analytica Chimica Acta, 798, 1, 64-73. Published, 10/10/2013.
- Environmental control on eastern broadleaf forest species’ leaf wax distributions and D/H ratios, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 111, 1, 64-77. Published, 06/15/2013.
- Leaf n-alkane record the plant-water environment at leaf flush, The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110, 7, 2659-2664. Published, 02/12/2013.
I focus on investigating the connections and interactions between the geological and biological sciences through the use of stable isotope ratios and elemental profiles of organic materials and inorganic phases. My research seeks to address questions of societal importance using geochemical tools and to translate these finding into civil, economic, and environmental improvements. My primary academic strengths are in the fields of isotope geochemistry, organic geochemistry, isotope forensics, paleoclimatology, and paleoecology.
- Organic Geochemistry
- Isotope Geochemistry
- Urban Ecology
- Environment and Human Health
- Water Cycle
- Ehleringer Lab, Research Professor. Department of Biology. 08/16/2010 - present.
- Hydrogen isotopes in n-alkanes of tree leaves and needles: experimental studies with ecophysiological, ecosystem, climate, and dust-related applications. PI: James Ehleringer. Co-PI(s): Brett Tipple. National Science Foundation, 04/15/2011 - 03/31/2015. Total project budget to date: $707,500.00
- Isotope analyses of hair as a trace evidence tool to reconstruct human movements: Establishing the effects of the “Human Ecosystem” on strontium and oxygen isotope ratios. PI: Brett Tipple. 10/01/2013 - present.
- Cavity ring-down spectroscopy (Water: O/H), Gas source isotope ratio mass spectrometry (Solids: C,N,O,H,S; Compound-Specific: C,H,N), Multicollector inductively-coupled plasma mass spectrometry (Sr).
Data File used in Tipple, B.J., Meyers, S.R., and Pagani, M. (2010) The carbon isotope ratio of Cenozoic CO2: a comparative evaluation of available geochemical proxies, Paleoceanography, doi:10.1029/2009PA001851.
- American Sign Language, basic.
- United States of America
- South Africa