- Society for the History of Authorship, Reading, and Publishing. 01/06/2017 - present. Position : Member.
- American Library Association. 10/01/2006 - present. Position : Member.
- Utah Library Association. 10/01/2005 - present. Position : Member .
Librarianship philosophy: I hope to create a demand for knowledge by connecting the U of U and broader Utah community to good information. I value living in a community that relies on books and information as tools for decision-making and where community members read avidly not only for their own self-interest to improve their individual lives, but to also develop an understanding of how to make the lives of those around them better.
Teaching philosophy: I teach best by asking questions and listening. I provide information or insight based on my own interpretation, understanding, or experience, preferably in response to a broader question and a learner’s stated understanding. As a teacher, I combine reading, discussion, and writing as a way to bring together the class and its goals. I pull from several sources to develop a reading curriculum and match the readings to specific learning objectives. I offer many reading options, usually brief, for each learning objective in order to allow students to choose what they want to learn based on their interests or immediate needs. The writing assignments I develop require students to apply to their individual situation what they have read and what the class has discussed. I want online classes to be fun and engaging. I incorporate short videos and photos that show my face and voice. I also add licensed music as part of the welcome screen to make the class feel inviting and dynamic.
- Digital Literacy Workshop for Granite School District. 06/07/2022 - 06/09/2022
- Curiosity Bibliotherapy, a reading club at Marriott Library https://readers.lib.utah.edu/clubs/ . 06/20/2018 - present