- Quality of Health Care
- Health economics
- Health Care Cost/financing and Utilization
- Cost-Effectiveness/Decision analysis
- Bariatric/Metabolic surgery
- Norman Waitzman, Ken Smith, Jaewhan Kim and Rebecca Utz. (2010) The Effects of Neighborhood Change on Obesity Risk: A Multilevel, Cohort Analysis Among Adolescents in Families that Move or Stay. Poster presented at 3rd Biennial Conference of American Society of Health Economists, Ithaca, New York. Poster, Other, 06/20/2010.
- Kim J. (2010) RISK FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH PREVALENCE OF HYPERTENSION: EVIDENCE FROM THE 2007 KOREA NATIONAL HEALTH AND NUTRITION EXAMINATION SURVEY (K-NHANES). Poster presented at ISPOR 15th Annual International Meeting, Atlanta, GA. Poster, Other, 05/15/2010.
- Kim J,. (2010) QUALITY OF LIFE OF PATIENTS WITH HYPERTENSION USING THE 2007 NATIONAL HEALTH AND NUTRITION EXAMINATION SURVEY (NHANES) OF KOREA. Poster presented at ISPOR 15th Annual International Meeting, Atlanta, GA. Poster, Other, 05/15/2010.
- Kim J, Nickman N. (2010) SPATIAL DEPENDENCE (OR CLUSTER) IN TOTAL NUMBER OF PRESCRIPTION DRUGS FILLED AT RETAIL PHARMACIES IN US. Poster presented at ISPOR 15th Annual International Meeting, Atlanta, GA. Poster, Other, 05/15/2010.
- Kim J, Nickman N. (2010) COMORBIDITIES, QUALITY OF LIFE, AND HEALTH CARE A CCESS BY RISK COHORT CHARACTERISTICS OF PEOPLE CALCULATED USING FRAMINGHAM RISK PERCENT FROM THE US NATIONAL HEALTH AND NUTRITION EXAMINATION SURVEY (NHANES). Poster presented at ISPOR 15th Annual International Meeting, Atlanta, GA. Poster, Other, 05/15/2010.
- Kim J, Asche C, Chakravarti P, Andersson K. (2010) Assessment of Comorbidities in Patients with Overactive Bladder (OAB) Disorder: An Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Data Analyis. Poster, Other, 01/01/2010.
- Utz R, Waitzman N, Kim J. (2009) Targeting prenatal care in an effort to reduce childhood obesity. Poster presented at 137th American Public Health Association (APHA) Annual Meeting & Exposition, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Poster, Other, 11/07/2009.
- Waitzman N, Utz R, Kim J. (2009) Effects of neighborhood SES and racial/ethnic composition on adolescent obesity: A multilevel, multi-cohort analysis. Poster presented at 137th American Public Health Association (APHA) Annual Meeting & Exposition, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Poster, Other, 11/07/2009.
- Steven Marx, Carl Asche, Jaewhan Kim. (2009) IMPACT OF ELEVATED INTACT PARATHYROID HORMONE ON MORTALITY AND RENAL DISEASE PROGRESSION IN PATIENTS WITH STAGE 3 AND 4 CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE. Poster presented at XLVII ERA-EDTA Congress, Munich, Germany. Poster, Other, 06/25/2009.
- Kim J, Asche CV, Anderson KH, Kahler KH, Kulkarni A. (2009) Assessment of cardiovascular (CV) combobidity in patients with overactive bladder (OAB) disorder in a real-world setting. Poster presented at ISPOR 14th Annual International Meeting, Orlando, Florida. Poster, Other, 01/01/2009.
- Kim J, Asche CV. (2009) How much skewness: Application to finite mixture distributions. Poster presented at ISPOR 14th Annual International Meeting, Orlando, Florida. Poster, Other, 01/01/2009.
- Kim J, Phatak H, Biskupiak J, Wu D. (2009) Assessment of the status of hypertension management in newly diagnosed and established hypertension patients in primary care practice. Poster presented at ISPOR 14th Annual International Meeting, Orlando, Florida. Poster, Other, 01/01/2009.
- Biskupiak J, Baney R, Kim J. (2008) Time to goal blood pressure and clinical inertia among hypertensive patients initiating therapy. Poster presented at 2008 ASHP Midyear CLinical Meeting, Orlando, Florida. Poster, Other, 12/07/2008.
- Ambegaonkar BM, Kim J, Biskupiak J, Sazonov V. (2008) Longitudinal assessment of dyslipidemia in a representative sample of us adults: prevalence and attainment of goal/recommended levels. Poster presented at American Heart Association 81st Annual Scientific Sessions, New Orleans, Louisiana. Poster, Other, 11/01/2008.
- Nickman N, Joshi AV, Haak S, Kim J. (2008) Norditropin Nordiflex Time-and-Motion Evaluation and Cost Minimization Analysis. Poster presented at ISPOR 13th Annual International Meeting, Toronto, Canada. Poster, Other, 05/01/2008.
Grants, Contracts & Research Gifts
- Head and Neck Cancer Risk Prediction Model. PI: -. NIC, 03/01/2012 - present. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Peri-Conceptional Biomonitoring . PI: Porucznik. 08/15/2011 - present. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- International NaProTechnology Evaluation and Surveillance of Treatment . PI: Stanford. Women's Reproductive Health Foundation , 01/01/2011 - present. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Lung cancer survivors in Nepal . PI: Hashibe. 11/01/2010 - present. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Primary care practice redesign-successful strategies . PI: -. AHRQ, 09/30/2010 - present. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Transformed Primary Care-Care by Design . PI: Magill. AHRQ, 07/01/2010 - present. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Assessing Practice Patterns and Outcomes in the Management of Hoarseness/Dysphonia . PI: Kim. Duke University, 07/01/2010 - 09/30/2011. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Underdiagnosis of hypertension in children . PI: Kim. HSF, 07/01/2010 - 06/30/2011. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Impact of transformation in primary care practice on costs of healthcare services . PI: Magill. HSF, 07/01/2010 - 06/30/2011. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Masculinity and risky sexual behavior: a study of males in the Dominican Republic and risk for . PI: Crookston. HSF, 07/01/2010 - 06/30/2011. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Household Food Insecurity in Mexico and some other countries . PI: Gray. Freedom from Hunger Foundation , 04/01/2010 - present. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- The Effect of Prenatal Care on Inpatient Utilization and Cost. PI: Waitzman. 03/15/2010 - present. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Evaluation of cardiovascular outcomes in healthy control vs. unhealthy group, and . PI: Asche. 07/01/2009 - 03/31/2010. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Outcome of Infertility Treatments in Clinic and Population-Based Cohorts . PI: Stanford. NIH, 06/01/2009 - 07/30/2011. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- English, fluent.
- Korean, fluent.
- T Adams (2023). Long-term Cancer Outcome After Bariatric Surgery. Obesity. Accepted, 04/22/2023.
- Jensen JK (2023). The impact of cigar pack size and pricing policies on youth and adult cigar use in the US. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. Accepted, 04/19/2023.
- J Kim (2023). Pre-Operative Substance Use Disorder is Associated with Higher Risk of Long-Term Mortality Following Bariatric Surgery. Obesity Surgery. Accepted, 03/21/2023.
- J Kim (2022). Association of Pre-Operative Arthritis with Long-Term Mortality Following Bariatric Surgery. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. Accepted, 12/22/2022.
- J Kim (2022). Development of Dementia in Patients who Underwent Bariatric Surgery. Surgical Endoscopy. Accepted, 11/30/2022.
- T Adams (2022). Long-Term All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality for Four Bariatric Surgery Procedures. Obesity. Accepted, 10/18/2022.
- Rogers M (2022). Factors Associated with Total Shoulder Arthroplasty Cost Variation in the State of Utah. Seminars in Arthroplasty: JSES. Accepted, 05/30/2022.
- Curtis (2022). Highly public anti-Black violence and preterm birth odds for Black and White mothers. Social Science and Medicine-Population Health. Accepted, 05/01/2022.
- J Kim (2022). Depression and Anxiety Incidence During Pregnancy Between Bariatric Surgery Patients and Matched Control Subjects. Obesity Surgery. Accepted, 03/21/2022.
- Luo (2022). Characteristics of Non-elderly Adult Healthcare Persistent Super Utilizers in Utah. Population Health Management. Accepted, 02/08/2022.
- Rogers (2021). The Impact of Perioperative Opioid Use on Patients Undergoing Hip Arthroscopy. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. Accepted, 11/30/2021.
- Kagabo (2021). Impact of COVID-19 and Socio-economic Status on Delayed Care and Unemployment. Health Equity. Accepted, 10/27/2021.
- Locke (2021). Electronic Health Record-Derived Outcomes in Obstructive Sleep Apnea Managed with Positive Airway Pressure Tracking Systems. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. Accepted, 10/20/2021.
- J Kim (2021). Prescription of Pain Medications Before and After Bariatric Surgery. Surgical Endoscopy. Accepted, 09/07/2021.
- J Kim (2021). Association of prenatal substance use disorders with pregnancy and birth outcomes following bariatric surgery. International Journal of Obesity. Accepted, 09/01/2021.
- Danilkowicz (2021). Patient factors associated with increased risk for complications after the latarjet procedure. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. Accepted, 08/30/2021.
- Danilkowicz (2021). Increasing age and modifiable comorbidities are associated with short-term complications after open reduction and internal fixation of ankle fractures. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology. Accepted, 04/20/2021.
- Cheng (2021). The back-up vasectomy reversal.” Simultaneous sperm retrieval and vasectomy reversal in the couple with advanced maternal age: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Urology. Accepted, 04/01/2021.
- Curtis (2021). Racial violence and the mental health of Black Americans. Proceedings of National Academy of Science. Accepted, 03/15/2021.
- Kim (2021). Effects of Post-Operative Nutritional Disorders following Bariatric Surgery on Health Care Cost and Use. Obesity Surgery. Accepted, 03/01/2021.
- Maak (2021). Femoral Neck Shaft Angle and Management of Proximal Femur Fractures: Is the Contralateral Femur a Reliable Template?. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. Accepted, 02/01/2021.
- Magel (2020). The Influence of an Opioid Use Disorder on Initiating Physical Therapy for Low Back Pain: A Retrospective Cohort. Journal of Addiction Medicine. Accepted, 04/01/2020.
- Kim (2020). Healthcare cost and utilization of bariatric surgical patients with and without pre-operative mental health diagnoses. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. Accepted, 01/2020.
- Magno-Padron (2020). A Nationwide Analysis of Early and Late Readmissions Following Free Tissue Transfer for Breast Reconstruction. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. Accepted, 01/2020.
- Simpson (2019). 2011 ACGME duty hour limits had no association with breast reconstruction complications. Journal of Surgical Research. Accepted, 12/2019.
- Kim (2019). Health care use and spending of pediatric patients with an intellectual or developmental disability. Medical Care. Accepted, 12/2019.
- Lee (2019). Head and Neck Cancer Risk Prediction Models for the US Population from the INHANCE Consortium. American Journal of Epidemiology. Accepted, 10/08/2019.
- Grimm (2019). Anatomic magnetic resonance imaging measurements in first-time patellar dislocators by sex and age. Journal of Athletic Training. Published, 09/30/2019.
- Tak (2019). Cost-Sharing Requirements for the Herpes Zoster Vaccine in Adults Aged 60+. Journal of Pharmacy Technology. Accepted, 09/10/2019.
- Kagabo (2019). Association between smoking, and hospital readmission among inpatients with psychiatric illness at an academic inpatient psychiatric facility, 2000-2015. Addictive Behaviors Reports. Accepted, 08/07/2019.
- Boothe (2019). Does early chemotherapy improve survival in advanced endometrial cancer? . American Journal of Clinical Oncology. Accepted, 07/02/2019.
- Moses (2019). Erectile Dysfunction Management After Failed Phosphodiesterase5-Inhibitor Trial: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. Translational Andrology and Urology. Accepted, 03/2019.
- Roger (2019). Understanding Pre-operative Demographics and Risk Factors for Revision Surgery in Patients Undergoing Hip Arthroscopy: A Large Database Study. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. Accepted, 03/2019.
- Jones (2019). Cost and utilization with enrollment in a Medical Home for individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder and/or Intellectual Disability. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. Accepted, 02/2019.
- Brooke (2019). Cost-effectiveness of Repeated Interventions on Failing Arteriovenous Fistulas. Journal of Vascular Surgery. Accepted, 01/2019.
- Veith J (2018). A national analysis of readmissions for wound healing complications following the repair of lower back, hip, and buttock pressure ulcers using the Nationwide Readmissions Database. American Journal of Surgery. Accepted, 12/03/2018.
- Tak CR (2018). The Effect of a Prescription Order Requirement for Pharmacist-Administered Vaccination on Herpes Zoster Vaccination Rates. Vaccine. Accepted, 11/21/2018.
- Kwok A (2018). Are 30 day outcomes enough? Late infectious readmissions following prosthetic-based reconstruction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Accepted, 09/05/2018.
- Bannon B (2018). Evaluation of the Intensive Outpatient Clinic: Study protocol for a prospective study of high-cost, high-need patients in the University of Utah Health system. BMJ Open. Accepted, 08/09/2018.
- Ulrich CM (2018). Precision-Exercise-Prescription in Lung Cancer Patients Undergoing Surgery: Rationale and Design of the PEP Study Trial. BMJ Open. Accepted, 08/02/2018.
- Jake Magel (2018). Associations Between Physical Therapy Continuity of Care and Health Care Utilization and Costs in Patients with Low Back Pain: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Physical Therapy. Accepted, 07/10/2018.
- Park, J (2018). Risk factors for cardiovascular disease among thyroid cancer survivors: findings from the Utah cancer survivors study. Journal of Clinical Endocrinolgy & Metabolism. Accepted, 05/10/2018.
- Kolotkin R (2018). 12-year trajectory of health- related quality of life in gastric bypass patients vs. comparison groups. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. Published, 04/03/2018.
- Lombardo S (2018). Cost and outcomes of open versus laparoscopic cholecystectomy in Mongolia. Journal of Surgical Research. Accepted, 03/08/2018.
- Hashibe (2018). Disparities in Cancer Survival and Incidence by Metropolitan vs. Rural Residence in Utah. Cancer Medicine. Accepted, 01/2018.
- Weigh an metabolic outcomes 12 years after gastric bypass. New England Jounral of Medicine. Accepted, 09/2017.
- Aging-related disease risks among young thyroid cancer survivors. Accepted, 08/2017.
- Practically Pragmatic: A Formative Evaluation of a Diabetes Prevention Program Utilizing the RE-AIM Framework Within a Learning Healthcare System. Accepted, 03/20/2017.
- Costs, Mortality and Hospital Utilization in Relation to Prenatal Diagnosis in d-Transposition of the Great Arteries. Accepted, 12/30/2016.
- The Association between Length of Hospital Stay and Readmission for Pediatric Psychiatric Patients. Accepted, 12/10/2016.
- A Descriptive Study of Pediatric Inpatients at an Academic Psychiatric Hospital. Accepted, 10/01/2016.
- Predictors of Hospital Readmission for Children with Psychiatric Illness who have Received an Initial Course of Treatment. Accepted, 09/01/2016.
- Stepping back to move forward: Evaluating the effectiveness of a Diabetes Prevention Program within a large integrated healthcare delivery system. Accepted, 04/08/2016.
- Incidental risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus among patients with confirmed and unconfirmed prediabetes. Accepted, 03/01/2016.
- Association of Patient Age at Gastric Bypass Surgery with Long-term All-cause and Cause-specific Mortality. JAMA Surgery (accepted). Accepted, 11/2015.
- Importance of the Type of Provider Seen to Begin Health Care for a New Episode Low Back Pain: Associations with Future Utilization and Costs. Accepted, 09/2015.
- Physical therapy utilization in Medicaid enrollees with low back pain. Accepted, 08/2015.
- Otolaryngology Utilization of Speech-Language Pathology Services for Voice Disorders. Accepted, 07/2015.
- Evaluating cost and resource use associated with pulse oximetry screening for critical congenital heart disease: empiric estimates and sources of variation. Accepted, 07/2015.
- The Cost of Sustaining a Patient Centered Medical Home: Experience from 2 States. Accepted, 07/2015.
- Voice disorders in the elderly: a national database study. Accepted, 05/2015.
- Compensation among FMIGS. Accepted, 01/2015.
- Change in Diagnosis and Treatment Following Specialty Voice Evaluation: a National Claims Database Analysis. Accepted, 01/2015.
- Toxicity and Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of 3-Dimensional vs. IMRT Post-Operative Pelvic Radiation for Gynecologic Malignancies. Accepted, 12/2014.
- Maternal and Neonatal Outcomes for Pregnancies Before and After Gastric Bypass Surgery. Accepted, 12/2014.
- Impact of an Integrated Transitions Management Program in Primary Care on Hospital Readmissions. Accepted, 10/2014.
- Videolaryngostroboscopy: diagnosis and treatment changes in patients with laryngeal/voice disorders. Accepted, 10/2014.
- Delayed Otolaryngology Referral for Voice Disorders Increases Health Care Costs. American Journal of Medicine. Accepted, 10/2014.
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament and Knee Injury Prevention Programs for Soccer Players: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Accepted, 08/2014.
- Physician Assistants in Dermatology. Accepted, 07/2014.
- Remuneration and absenteeism on a large construction site. Accepted, 07/2014.
- Patient care experiences and perceptions of the patient-provider relationship: a mixed method. Accepted, 07/2014.
- Factors associated with health service utilization under the New Rural Cooperative Medical System (NRCMS) in Hainan, China: preliminary evidence from a household survey. Accepted, 07/2014.
- Surgical volume, hospital quality and hospitalization cost in congenital heart surgery in the United States. Accepted, 07/2014.
- The Effect of Follow-up Inspections on Critical Violations Identified During Restaurant Inspections. Accepted, 04/2014.
- Frequency and factors associated with use of videolaryngostroboscopy in voice disorder assessment. Accepted, 01/2014.
- Diagnosis change in PCPs and ENTs. Accepted, 10/2013.
- The association of provider satisfaction and organizational culture in the context of primary care practice redesign. Accepted, 10/2013.
- Hearing outcomes of atresia surgery versus osseointegrated bone conduction device in patients with congenital aural atresia: a systematic review. Accepted, 07/2013.
- Connecting the Dots and Merging Meaning: Using Mixed Methods to Study Primary Care Delivery Transformation. Accepted, 06/2013.
- Factors Influencing Referral of Voice Disordered Patients from Primary Care to Otolaryngology. Accepted, 05/2013.
- Prescribing Patterns of Primary Care Physicians and Otolaryngologists in the Management of Laryngeal Disorders. Accepted, 02/2013.
- Assessing Factors Related to the Pharmacologic Management of Laryngeal Diseases and Disorders. Accepted, 01/2013.
- Physician assistants in dermatology; a survey of fellow members of the Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants. Accepted, 11/2012.
- Impact of Internet Posting of Restaurant Inspection Scores on Critical Violation. Journal of Environmental Health. . Accepted, 10/2012.
- A Preliminary Report of Quality, Satisfaction, and Financial Efficiency Associated with Elements of Primary Care Practice Transformation. Accepted, 08/2012.
- Comprehensive Family Hygiene Promotion in Peri-Urban Cape Town: Gastrointestinal and Respiratory Illness and Skin Infection Reduction in Children Under Age Five. Accepted, 08/2012.
- EXAMINATION OF THE ASSOCIATION BETWEEN ANNOUNCED INSPECTIONS AND INSPECTION SCORES. Journal of Environmental Health.. Accepted, 07/2012.
- Asche C, Marx SE, Jaewhan K, Sterz R, Audhya P, Andress D. Impact of Elevated Intact Parathyroid Hormone on Mortality and Renal Disease Progression in Chronic Kidney Disease Stages 3 and 4 Patients. Accepted, 07/2012.
- Freya Spielberg, Benjamin T Crookston, Sheila Chanani, Jaewhan Kim, Sean Kline, Bobbi L Gray. Leveraging microfinance to impact HIV and financial behaviors among adolescents and their mothers in West Bengal: A cluster randomized trial. Accepted, 05/2012.
- The Effect of Prevailing Wage regulations. Accepted, 01/2012.
- Factors related to health care spending of patients with dysphonia. Accepted, 12/2011.
- The Impact of Dysphonia on Work-Related Dysfunction. Accepted, 12/2011.
- Direct Economic Impact of Dysphonia. Accepted, 12/2011.
- Seth Cohen, Jaewhan Kim, Nelson Roy, Carl Asche, Mark Courey. Prevalence and Causes of Dysphonia in a Large-Treatment Seeking Population. Laryngoscope. Accepted, 07/2011.
- Jaewhan Kim and Peter Philips, Socio-Economic Factors Influencing the Failure to Measure the Blood Pressure of Children during Clinical Examinations, Journal of Clinical Hypertension. Accepted, 05/2011.
- Jaewhan Kim and Peter Philips, A case study of the determinants of quits and dismissals on a long-lasting, unionized, industrial construction project, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. Accepted, 05/2011.
- Asche, Carl; Kim, Jaewhan; Kulkarni, Amit; Chakravarti, Paula; Andersson, karl-Erik, "Assessment of association of increased heart rates to cardiovascular events among healthy subjects in the United States: Analysis of a primary care electronic medical records database". ISRN Cardiology. Accepted, 03/2011.
- Nelson RE, Kim J. The Impact of Mental Illness on the Risk of Employment Termination. Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics. Accepted, 02/04/2011.
- Asche, Carl, Kim, Jaewhan, Kulkarni, Amit, Chakravarti, Paula, Andersson, Karl-Erik. "Presence of central nervous system, cardiovascular, and overall comorbidity burden in subjects with overactive bladder disorder in a real-world setting". British Journal of Urology International. Accepted, 02/2011.
- Joseph Biskupiak, Jaewhan Kim, Hemant Phatak, David Wu, "Prevalence of high-risk cardiovascular conditions and the status of hypertension management among hypertensive adults age 65 and older in the US: Analysis of a primary care electronic medical records database", Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 2010, 12 (12): 935-944. Published, 12/2010.
- Jaewhan Kim and Peter Philips, "Effect of Multiemployer Collective Bargaining on Employer-Provided Health Insurance in the Construction", Journal of Labor Research, 2010, 31 (4): 322-331. Published, 10/2010.
- Nancy A. Nickman, Sandra Haak, Jaewhan Kim, " Use of Clinical Simulation Centers in Health Professions Schools for Patient-Centered Research", Simulation in Healthcare 2010, 5(5): 295-302. Published, 07/2010.
- Nancy A Nickman, Sandra W Haak and Jaewhan Kim, “Cost Minimization Analysis of Different Growth Hormone Pen Devices based on Time-and-Motion Simulations”, BMC Nursing, 2010, 9:6 (doi:10.1186/1472-6955-9-6). Published, 05/2010.
- Jaewhan Kim and Peter Philips, “Health Insurance and Worker Retention in the Construction Industry”, Journal of Labor Research, 2010, 31(1): 20-38. Published, 03/2010.
- Kim J, Nelson R and Biskupiak J, "Decision Analysis: A Primer and Application to Pain-Related Studies", Journal of Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy, 2008, 22(4): 291-299. Published, 12/2008.