Associate Professor (Clinical), College Of Nursing
Associate (Clinical) Professor, College Of Nursing
Women, refugees, health
- Communicating Across Diversity. Disparities in Patient Care. University of Utah Dept. of
Speech and Communication
- Why Choose a Midwife? Podcast: http://healthcare.utah.edu/the-scope/shows.php?shows=0_lyvqalrc.
- Nitrous Oxide Use in Labor Podcast: http://healthcare.utah.edu/the-scope/shows.php?shows=0_wlisk6b9.
- Do I Need a Midwife? Podcast: http://healthcare.utah.edu/the-scope/shows.php?shows=0_cefinvcs.
- Perceptions and Experiences of Iraqi Muslim Women and Health Care Providers in the Health Care Encounter, Western Institute of Nursing Conference, Albuquerque, NM.
- Dealing With Diversity, Utah Valley University Nursing Conference, Keynote Speaker.
- Data Collection through the Eyes of the Newly Arrived, University of Utah Health Science Conference.
- Barriers preventing Refugee Women from receiving Equal Medical Care Podcast: http://healthcare.utah.edu/the-scope/shows.php?shows=0_m6lrjfa1.
- Iraqi Refugee Women's Experiences of the Health Care Encounter.
- Cultural Competence and Ethical Awareness, Society for Applied Anthropology, Denver, CO.
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Birth and Perineal Trauma: A Midwifery Perspective.
- Culturally Sensitive Care to Muslim Women.
- The State of Iraqi Refugee Health Needs.
- Somali Refugee Perceptions of Mental Illness, Western Institute of Nursing, Las Vegas, NV.
Grants, Contracts & Research Gifts
Bridging Gaps in Global Learning and Leadership.
PI: Deb Penney.
University of Utah Office of Global Engagement,
01/01/2017 - 12/31/2017.
Total project budget to date: $10,000.00
- Water Birth.
PI: Gwen Latendress.
10/01/2012 - 10/01/2014.
- Provider and Iraqi Muslim Refugeee Women's Perceptions and Experiences of the Health Care Encounter.
PI: Patricia Murphy.
07/07/2012 - 07/07/2014.
Geographical Regions of Interest
- Midwifing the student: Creating a productive learning environment.
- Somali refugees’ perceptions of mental illness. Social Work in Health Care.
- Global Case Studies In Maternal and Child Health by Ruth White, editor. Book review in the Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 65(8). 714-715. doi:10.111/jmwh.12153.
- The Intersection of heath beliefs and religion among Somali refugees: A qualitative study. Journal of Religion & Spiritualty in Social Work: Social Thought.
- Gynecological and Obstetric Surgery. In J.K. Fuller (Ed.) Surgical technology: Principles and practice (5th ed). (Chapter 24 pp. 555-600) St. Louis, MO: Saunders Elsevier.
- Counseling Vegetarians during Pregnancy and Lactation.
- The Effects of Vigorous Exercise in Pregnancy.