My research is rooted in a pragmatist approach to understanding symptoms appraisal and management in acute and chronic situations and conditions. Symptoms are subjective sensations that serve as the canary in the mine shaft to signal changes in chronic illness. Rarely can we monitor patients at home 24 hours a day, we must rely on patients to report significant changes thus we must rely on self-reports of the magnitude and frequency. My research seeks to undersatnd these decision from the patient and their caregivers perspective.
- Chronic Illness
- Heart Failure
- Pulmonary Disease, Chronic Obstructive
- Symptom cluster
- Symptom Science
- Meek, P.M. The management of Dyspnea and COPD. Nursing Year in Review 2021. Annual Conference of the American Thoracic Society. Virtual. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 05/2021.
- Meek, P.M. Assessing Innovation in PhD Pathways and Curricular Models: Distance programs & integration of Nexus. American Association for Colleges of Nursing Virtual Doctoral Conference. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 01/2021.
- Meek, P.M. Self-management in chronic lung disease. Year in Review 2019: Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Physical Activity, Self-Management, Respiratory Failure and Palliative Respiratory Care. Ciro Academy, Horn Netherlands. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 12/2019.
- Agusti, A., & Ambrosino, N., Blackstock, F., Bourbeau, J., Casaburi, R., Celli, B., Crouch, R., Negro, R. D., Dreher, M., Garvey, C., Gerardi, D., Goldstein, R., Hanania, N., Holland, A. E., Kaur, A., Lareau, S., Lindenauer, P. K., Mannino, D., Make, B., Maltais, F., M (2022). COPD: Providing the right treatment for the right patient at the right time. Respiratory medicine. Vol. 207.
- Rahman, M., & Petersen, H., Irshad, H., Liu, C., McDonald, J., Sood, A., Meek, P. M., & Tesfaigzi, Y. (2022). Cleaning the Flue in Wood-Burning Stoves Is a Key Factor in Reducing Household Air Pollution. Toxins. Vol. 10.
- Paula & Picchi, M. A., Meek, P. M., Jiang, M., Bayliss, S. H., Zhai, T., Bayliyev, R. I., Tesfaigzi, Y., Campen, M. J., Kang, H., Zhu, Y., Lan, Q., Sood, A., & Belinsky, S. A (2022). Wood smoke exposure affects lung aging, quality of life, and all-cause mortality in New Mexican smokers. Respiratory Research. Vol. 23.
- Weston, M.J., & Porter-O'Grady T, C (2022) The Value of Nursing Professional Governance: Researching the Professional Practice Environment. J Nurs Adm. May 1;52(5):249-250. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0000000000001141. PMID: 35467589 No abstract available. Weston MJ, Meek P, Verran (2022). The Verran Professional Governance Scale: Confirmatory and Exploratory Analysis. Journal of Nursing Measurement. Vol. 52. Published, 05/2022.
- Porter-O'Grady T & The Value of Nursing Professional Governance: Researching the Professional Practice Environment (2022). The Value of Nursing Professional Governance: Researching the Professional Practice Environment. Journal of Nursing Administration. Vol. 52. Published, 04/2022.
- Thumm EB & Smith DC (2022). Burnout of the US midwifery workforce and the role of practice environment. Health services research. Vol. 57, 351-363. Published, 03/01/2022.
- Thumm EB & Smith DC, Squires AP, Breedlove G, Meek PM. (2022). Burnout of the US midwifery workforce and the role of practice environment. Health Services Research. Published, 01/2022.
- Sood, A. & Petersen H, Liu C, Myers O, Shore XW, Gore BA, Vazquez-Guillamet R, Cook LS, Meek P, Tesfaigzi Y (2022). Racial and Ethnic Minorities Have a Lower Prevalence of Airflow Obstruction than Non-Hispanic Whites. COPED. Vol. 19. Published, 01/2022.
- McIlvennan CK, Jones J, Makic M & Meek PM (2021). Stress and Coping Among Family Caregivers of Patients With a Destination Therapy Left Ventricular Assist Device: A Multicenter Mixed Methods Study. Circulation. Heart failure. Vol. 14, e008243. Published, 12/01/2021.
- Tulu SN & Cook P (2021). Chronic disease self-care: A concept analysis. Nursing forum. Vol. 56, 734-741. Published, 11/01/2021.
- Aronson KI, Danoff SK, Russell AM, Ryerson CJ, Suzuki A, Wijsenbeek MS, Bajwah S, Bianchi P, Corte TJ & Lee JS (2021). Patient-centered Outcomes Research in Interstitial Lung Disease: An Official American Thoracic Society Research Statement. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine. Vol. 204, e3-e23. Published, 09/01/2021.
- Hyden KF, Coats HL & Meek PM (2020). Home-Based Palliative Care: Perspectives of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients and Their Caregivers. Chronic Obstr Pulm Dis. Vol. 7, 327-335. Published, 10/07/2020.
- Thumm EB & Meek P. (2020). Development and Initial Psychometric Testing of the Midwifery Practice Climate Scale. J Midwifery Womens Health. Vol. 65, 643-650. Published, 09/07/2020.
- Thumm EB, , Shaffer J, & Meek, P. (2020). Development and Initial Psychometric Testing of the Midwifery Practice Climate Scale - Part 2. J Midwifery Womens Health. Vol. 65, 651-659. Published, 09/07/2020.
- Massouh A, , Abu Saad Huijer H, , Meek, P & Skouri H (2020). Determinants of Self-Care in Patients With Heart Failure: Observations From a Developing Country in the Middle East. J Transcult Nurs. Vol. 31, 294-303. Published, 05/31/2020.
- Nici, L., Mammen MJ, , Krishnan JA, Martinez FJ, Meek, PM, Morgan M,, Polkey MI, Puhan MA, Sadatsafavi M, Sin DD, Washko GR, Wedzicha JA & Aaron SD (2020). Pharmacologic Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. An Official American Thoracic Society Clinical Practice Guideline. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. Vol. 201, e56-e69. Published, 05/01/2020.
- Massouh A, Skouri H, , Cook P, , Huijer HAS, Khoury M & Meek, P (2020). Self-care confidence mediates self-care maintenance and management in patients with heart failure. Heart Lung. Vol. 49, 30-35. Published, 02/01/2020.
- Coats, H. , Meek, P.M., , Schilling, L.M., , Akard, T.F & Doorenbos, A.D. (2020). Connection": The Integration of a Person-Centered Narrative Intervention Into the Electronic Health Record: An Implementation Study. Palliat Med. Vol. 23, 785-791. Published, 01/06/2020.