Prof. Practice ILocation: MCE 1001 (MCE 1001)
Pro Pract. & Design IILocation: MCE 1001 (MCE 1001)
Intro to FoundationsLocation: WEB 2230 (WEB 2230)
- Broadway Industrial Group Limited.
09/01/2012 - 09/01/2012.
Comments: Broadway Industrial Group Limited, Singapore, EPS Geofoam Application for Soft Ground Site in Shanghai, China, 2012
- Macro Industurial.
06/01/2012 - 06/03/2012.
Comments: Consolidation and EPS Settlement Calculations for El Nido Airport Expansion, El Nido Philippines, 2012.
- EPS 2018. 01/01/2017 - 05/19/2018. Position : Organizing Committee, Technical Committee and Panel Member.
- 6th European Geosynthetics Conference. 05/13/2015 - 12/30/2016. Position : Technical Committee Member.
- ASCE Gas and Liquid Fuels Subcomittee. 01/01/2015 - present. Position : Member.
- EPS 2017. 03/12/2014 - 06/30/2018. Position : Organizing Committee Member.
- Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research. 03/01/2014 - present. Position : Team Leader - Next Generation Liquefaction Lateral Spread Database.
My teaching philosophy incorporates the science and practice of engineering through an integrated curriculum that mixes theory with practice. Civil engineering students need to acquire skills in planning, analyzing, designing, constructing, and operating engineered systems. This requires development of creative thinking, theoretical and practical knowledge, problem solving, self-confidence, teamwork, professional ethics and social responsibility. Theoretical knowledge is the science of engineering and permits one to explore the reasonableness of assumptions and to generalize or extrapolate ideas to new situations with greater confidence. This knowledge is obtained from the principles of mathematics, physics, mechanics, dynamics, chemistry, geology and biology and explains the fundamental behavior of engineered systems. However, theoretical knowledge is not sufficient to practice engineering. Applied learning, or engineering judgment, is also needed. A skilled engineer must develop a sense of proportion and reasonableness of his or her design based on precedent and available construction techniques. Thus, a contemporary engineer must be knowledgeable of modern materials, equipment and construction practices to be successful.