- Monisha Pasupathi (2021). Revenge, Justice Systems, and Institutional Trust in Schools: Narrative Considerations. Cambridge University Press. Published, 10/04/2021.
- Smith & Brown, A. M. (2020). Leading Restorative Justice Efforts for Equity in Secondary Schools. Information Age Publishing. Accepted, 11/05/2020.
- Brown, C. Hendricks, Eddy, J. Mark, Reid, John B. & Smith, Paula (2005). A Survey of Prevention Science Training: Implications for Educating the Next Generation. Springer Science + Business Media. Vol. 6(1), 59-71. Published, 06/2005.
- school-based prevention
- risk and protective factors research
- female juvenile offenders
- equity and justice
- Public Education
- Acosta, C., MacKay, B., Mekrut, C., Ross, C., & Smith, P. (2019, September). Implementation of restorative justice in juvenile and criminal justice settings: Opportunities and barriers. Refereed presentation at Utah Criminal Justice Conference, Salt Lake City, UT. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 09/2019.
- Smith, P. & Bosworth, L. K. (2019, May). Prevention in High Schools Dialogue: Leadership, Restorative Justice, PBIS, Student Assistance Programs, and Others. Facilitated Dialogue at the Society for Prevention Research Annual Conference in San Francisco, CA. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 05/2019.
- Smith, P., Smith, W. A., & Parker, L. (2019, April). Black graduate education in a “post- truth” era: Preliminary results of a multifaceted initiative for African American doctoral students. Presented at the American Educational Research Association conference, Toronto, Canada. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 04/2019.
- Traditional and Gender Responsive Placements for Female Juvenile Offenders, Society for Prevention Research. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 05/27/2016.
Grants, Contracts & Research Gifts
- Strategic Prevention Grant. PI: Paula Smith. Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health, 01/01/2021 - 06/30/2022. Total project budget to date: $40,000.00
- Evaluation of a Mental Health Intervention in 3 School Districts. PI: Smith, P. Utah State Board of Education, 01/15/2019 - 08/20/2023. Total project budget to date: $500,000.00
- Pipeline for the development of the African American Doctoral Scholars Initiative. PI: Smith, P. Co-PI(s): Smith, W. A. & Parker, L.. Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs, 09/03/2018 - 06/30/2023. Total project budget to date: $322,500.00
- Pipeline Development of African American Doctoral Students and Scholars. PI: Paula Smith. Co-PI(s): William A. Smith, Laurence Parker, Karen Johnson. George S. & Dolores Dore Eccles Foundation, 10/01/2015 - 09/30/2018. Total project budget to date: $120,000.00