Director, Biannual International Screendance Festival and Workshop, Modern Dance Department
Founding Director, The Graduate Certificate in Screendance, Modern Dance Department
Professor, Modern Dance Department
Distinguished Professor, School Of Dance
- San Francisco Dance Film Festival.
Dance Film Festival Awards Jury.
06/2016 - 10/2016
- Taft-Nicholson Center for Environmental Humanities Education.
University of Utah representative on Advisory Board and member of Artist-in-Residence Selection Committee.
02/02/2015 - 02/02/2017
- DANCE SCREEN, International Music Centre (IMZ-Austria) and San Francisco Dance Film Festival.
Role: Jury Member.
Selected "Best Of" winners in a variety of dance film categories from a preselected group of finalists from 100s of submissions, September, San Francisco, CA.
09/11/2013 - 09/15/2013
- McMillen/Palgrave Press.
External reviewer for proposed book, a collection of essays on Screendance.
08/2012 - 09/2012
- Oxford University Press.
Reviewer for proposed book on Ethics in Dance.
06/2012 - 07/2012
- Oxford University Press.
External Reviewer for book on Screendance theory.
10/2010 - 12/2010
- ODC Theater's Inaugural Festival, Screendance Screenings, San Francisco.
10/2010 - 11/2010
- International Screendance Journal.
Role: Review and decide on submssions for publication.
09/2010 - present
- Love DANCE More.
Member, Advisory Board.
09/2010 - 09/2015
- The Leonardo Downtown.
Jury Member to select artist for Lobby Public Art Commission.
06/11/2010 - 12/2011
- EMPAC: Experimental Media & Performing Arts Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
DANCE MOViES Commissioning Juror.
04/01/2010 - 06/07/2010
- Dance Films Association.
Role: Coordinator and Teacher.
Through the Lens: 4 award winning filmmakers share their viewpoints, Dance New Amsterdam, workshop for Dance Films Association, January 6-9, 2009, New York City.
01/06/2009 - 01/09/2009
- Saskatchewan Film Pool, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
Curator and Presenter, Dance for Camera Screening, Saskatchewan Film Pool.
06/28/2008 - 06/28/2008
- Dance Camera West (Los Angeles).
Advisory Board Member.
01/01/2006 - 12/31/2011
- International Media Arts & Dance Forum/List,.
Role: Founding Member.
Founding member, an international network and organization of member dance film festivals and broadcasters. Advocacy.
12/2005 - present
- Amercian College Dance Festival.
Role: Curator, Presenter.
Dance for Camera Screening and Lecture, University of Colorado, Boulder.
03/12/2004 - 03/15/2004
- Dance Films Association, New York City.
Advisory Board Member.
01/01/2002 - 01/31/2009
- Junior, Senior Advisor - Sabbatical Replacement.
Provide Advising for Juniors and Seniors,
01/08/2018 - 04/24/2018.
- Department Review Committee - Review of Career Line Faculty (resumed after semester research leave).
08/21/2017 - present.
- CFA Arts Technology/Media Arts strategic planning process.
09/2016 - 04/2017.
- Distinguished Professor Advisory Committee Chaired by Ruth Watkins.
09/2015 - 08/21/2017.
- Co-Director of Graduate Thesis Concert with Rob Wood.
08/2015 - present.
- Entrepreneurial Faculty Scholars Retreat Organizing Committee.
01/2015 - 12/2015.
- Organized faculty retreat on issues of diversity with facilitator from the Women's Center and the College of Health.
04/2014 - 04/2014.
- Utah Symposium on Science and Literature, Board Member, Co-Chair, Afternoon Sessions .
03/2014 - 03/2015.
- Sophomore, Transfer and Minor Advisor, Sabbatical Replacement.
Provide Advising for Sophomore, Transfer and Minor Students,
01/2014 - 12/2014.
- Department Review Committee - Review of Career Line Faculty.
01/01/2014 - 05/01/2016.
- Ad Hoc Committee for policy statement for appointment, reappointment, review and promotion of career-line, adjunct, & visiting faculty. Committee Member,convened by Amy Wildermuth.
11/2013 - 11/2016.
- Department online recruitment video.
Producer, Director, Editor,
11/2013 - 11/2015.
- College Council.
09/2013 - 09/2015.
- RPT Committee.
01/09/2013 - 01/09/2016.
- Entrepreneurial Faculty Scholars Executive Committee.
01/01/2013 - 12/31/2016.
- Graduate College Internal Review of English Department.
10/11/2012 - 11/30/2012.
- Faculty Excellence Award Selection Committee.
09/2012 - 09/2012.
- Honors Advisor.
Advise and Support School of Dance Modern Students in pursuing their Honors Degree,
08/2012 - present.
- Co-Chair, RPT Committee.
08/2012 - 12/2012.
- Freshman Adviser.
07/01/2012 - 07/01/2014.
- Distinguished Innovation and Impact Award Selection Committee.
02/2012 - 12/2016.
- Strategic Planning Committee: Goal #1.
01/2012 - 04/2012.
- Search Committee Member for Adjunct Faculty National Search.
01/2012 - 04/2012.
- Senior Adviser.
09/2011 - 09/2012.
- Multi-Media Performance Lab.
Director and Facilitator for Student and Faculty Research and Teaching Activities in the CFA,
08/2011 - 08/2016.
- Assistant with Publicity for SaltDance Summer Workshop .
09/2010 - 12/2010.
- Multi-Media Performance Lab – Creator of a technology/performance laboratory in the Film and Media Arts Building.
08/2010 - 04/2011.
- Production team for Warnock Visiting Artist Ernesto Pujol’s durational performance, Awaiting .
Production support and Docent for event,
04/2010 - 10/2010.
- Initiation of the Dance Film Certificate Program, an interdisciplinary Graduate Certificate Program
between Modern Dance and Film & Media Arts. Approved. Ongoing Assignment.
Coordinator, Director and Teacher,
12/20/2009 - present.
- College Council.
08/23/2008 - 09/24/2011.
- College Retention, Promotion and Tenure Committee.
Member, Alternates with Pamela Geber,
08/2008 - 11/2012.
- Creation of CIDAT Lecture Series, Common Ground: Making Meaning in the Arts and Sciences.
Concept and Organization,
01/28/2008 - 02/25/2008.
- Retention, Promotion and Tenure Committee.
Committee Member, Secretary, Ongoing Assignment,
08/23/2007 - 04/2012.
- The Center for Interdisciplinary Arts and Technology - The Center for Interdisciplinary Arts and Technology was created to promote, encourage and support the integration of innovative technologies and collaboration within the various visual and performing arts as well as between the arts and the sciences, thereby reframing creative inquiry, artistic practice and pedagogy for the 21st century.
Founding Director for two years, Advisory Board Member for one year,
08/2006 - 04/2009.
- Producer of “Screening the Body,” multi-media performance event by Guest Video Artist Douglas Rosenberg.
Producer, Director of residency performance,
02/04/2004 - 02/08/2004.
- Graduate Curriculum Committee.
Member, Ongoing Assignment,
08/23/2000 - present.
- Faculty Advisor to Student Screendance Club.
Advise Students on Funding & Activities for Festival, Ongoing Assignment,
08/23/2000 - 12/18/2015.
- Dance Technology Committee.
08/23/2000 - 08/2013.
- Assistant Graduate Advisor .
Assist Graduate Advisor, Ongoing Assignment,
08/23/2000 - 08/2011.
- Faculty Advisor to Student Associate for Collaboration in the Arts.
Advise Students on Projects and Funding, Ongoing Assignment,
08/23/2000 - 12/31/2010.
- International Screendance Festival and Workshop (11 years), was annual and in 2004 became a biannual festival.
09/1999 - present.
- Public presentation of a documentary on the Karen Refugees who have relocated to SLC from Thai Refugee Camps. University Neighborhood Partners.
04/02/2016 - 04/02/2016
- Beginning of relationship with University Neighborhood Partners in conjunction with creating a video documentary on the Karen Refugees from Thailand/Burma.
05/02/2015 - present
- Utah Museum of Natural History, Collaborated on Public Performance, "Glyph".
08/2012 - 02/20/2013
- This is a duplicate entry for the GLYPH creative research project, as it occurred within the Museum of Natural History of Utah and involved many community members of all ages from outside of the university environment.
02/2013 - 02/2013
Honors & Awards
- Faculty Fellowship - teaching release for creative research, Spring 2017.
College of Fine Arts,
- Grant to fund acquisition of oral histories of Karen Refugees in Salt Lake City.
Utah Humanities Council,
- Honored with the title of "Distinguished Professor".
University of Utah,
- Granada Artist in Residence.
UC Davis Department of Theater and Dance,
- Distinguished Innovation and Impact Award.
University of Utah,
- Granada Artist in Residence .
- Townsend Center for the Humanities Fellow at UC Berkeley, Awarded in 2010 for a 2011 Fellowship Residency.
Townsend Center for the Humanities,
- An "Izzie" Award for Outstanding Achievement in Visual Design, for Collapse (suddenly falling down), Choreography by Della Davidson, Media Design by Ellen Bromberg, San Francisco, 2009 .
The Bay Area Isadora Duncan Dance Awards,
- Short listed for commissioned project by Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.
Dance MOVies Commssioning Project,
- Isadora Duncan Dance Award for Excellence in Visual Design for Collapse (suddenly falling down) January 2009.
Bay Area Isadora Duncan Dance Awards Committee,
- UC Davis Department of Theater and Dance, Davis, CA .
UC Davis, Granada Artist-in-Residence Fellowship,
- Fellowship Award.
John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation,
In the Media
- Press clippings, citations, previews, reviews, articles, etc., from prior to my coming to the University of Utah are available in hard copy. Other electronic media since joining the u of U faculty are available as well. Upon request. 02/2018.
- San Francisco Dance Film Festival Website. 10/2016.
- 2015 Dance Film Forum at San Francisco Public Library. 10/10/2015.
- Check out the 5th annual San Francisco Dance Film Festival . 10/10/2015.
- The Salt Lake Tribune, feature article on the 10th Anniversary of the Screendance Festival by Kathy Adams - South American Artists show their works in SLC. 09/25/2015.
- http://www.sfdancefilmfest.org/dance-film-forum/. 11/2014.
- Dance Studio Life Magazine: Dance for the Camera-Step Aside Dance Documentation: Screendance is its own Artform. (National Publication). 08/2014.
- Salt Lake Tribune: Accelerating into the future with Ririe-Woodbury
By Kathy Adams Special To The Tribune
- 15 Bytes UTAH'S ART MAGAZINE SINCE 2001 Ririe-Woodbury's Accelerate. 04/25/2014.
- Salt Lake Weekly's Daily Feed, Gavin's Underground / Culture
Posted By Gavin Sheehan on April 23, 2014, 7:00 PM
Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company will bring their 50th Anniversary season to a close this week, but before they go, they've got one last performance on the docket that's sure to delight. --- Accelerate is a brand-new venture featuring the works of Ellen Bromberg with stunning audio and visual content from Doug Varone to create a multimedia experience throughout every performance, and ultimately ending this season on the highest note possible. Today, we chat with our old friend Daniel Charon about this show and wrapping up RW's 50th year. (All photos courtesy of Ririe-Woodbury.). 04/23/2014.
- The Salt Lake City Weekly
April 22, 2014 Culture » Dance
Accelerate closes Ririe-Woodbury's 50th season by exploring dance's future
By Katherine Pioli
- https://arts.stanford.edu/screendance-a-new-visual-language/. 01/2014.
- http://dancingwords.typepad.com/life_as_a_modern_dancer/2013/11/artist-profile-48-ellen-bromberg-salt-lake-city-ut.html. 04/2013.
- The Daily Utah Chronicle (not major). 02/19/2013.
- Salt Lake Tribune: Beyond bones: Dancing through history in the Natural History Museum of Utah. 02/12/2013.
- Le Monde, Body/Cinema Blog. 01/14/2013.
- UC Davis News and Information: The Arts - A new dance work driven by Professor Davidson's Inquiry into Life, Death and Beauty. 05/30/2012.
- The Davis Enterprise: Davidson Passes Boldly into Another World. 05/29/2012.
- Salt Lake Tribune: Picturing Dance on Screen. 02/29/2012.
- The California Aggie: and the snow fell softly on all the living and the dead…. 02/21/2012.
- Dance on Camera Journal: Promising Times Ahead. 11/14/2011.
- Salt Lake Tribune: Ellen Bromberg: Teaching the
technology of dance in a digital
- http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=52530269&itype=CMSID. 09/2011.
- Catalyst Magazine - Dance: Making Video Dance. 09/01/2011.
- http://tdps.berkeley.edu/people/ellen-bromberg/. 02/2011.
- Dance film festival gets humor: Lighter, entertaining side of dancing is featured in movies. 02/19/2006.
- Performance melds dance, film | Deseret News. 02/01/2004.
- Reel Dance
- http://dancersgroup.org/2007/07/from-stage-to-screen-bromberg-forges-new-directions/. 07/2001.
- http://ephemeral-efforts.com/falling-to-earth/. 02/1999.
- RDT: 3 BAY AREA CHOREOGRAPHERS IN THE SPOTLIGHT THIS WEEKEND. 04/02/1989.