Nurse Midwifery Pract VLocation: CNB 2505 (CNB 2505)
- Utah Nurse Practitioners. 07/02/2022 - present. Position : Member.
- National Association of Nurse Practioners in Women's Health. 06/24/2022 - present. Position : Member.
- North American Menopause Society. 04/30/2021 - present. Position : Member.
- American College of Nurse Midwives. 08/01/2012 - present. Position : Member.
- Redstone Health Center, Women's Health, University of Utah Health. College of Nursing. 09/01/2021 - present .
- Labor and Delivery, University of Utah Hospital.
College of Nursing.
- People's Health Clinic, Park City, UT. College of Nursing. 01/27/2021 - 09/01/2021 .
- Sugarhouse Health Center, Women's Health, University of Utah Health. College of Nursing. 10/04/2019 - 12/04/2020 .
- Clinic 4, Women's Health, University of Utah Health. College of Nursing. 03/01/2019 - 09/30/2019 .
- South Jordan Health Center, Women's Health, University of Utah Health. College of Nursing. 09/04/2017 - 02/28/2019 .
- Title X Family Planning Clinic, Eagle County Public Health Department, Eagle, CO. College of Nursing. 03/08/2016 - 08/01/2017 .
- Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey: 5.0 out of 5.0 rating.
- Top 10 percent nationwide for patient satisfaction.
As a lifelong learner, my goal is to inspire my students to love learning, to remain curious, and to continue to ask hard questions. I foster a classroom environment that encourages inquiry and teaches students to find evidence-based answers. As I encourage students to prepare for lifelong evidence-based practice, so I also base my teaching on evidence, integrating the findings of cognitive science research into my course design to support knowledge retention, understanding, and critical thinking. Through classroom discussion, I ask students to grapple with the “gray” areas of obstetrics and gynecology and to face their own biases, providing articles and evidence that may contradict long-held beliefs and asking students to examine multiple perspectives. I keep ‘learning’ as my North Star and am continually assessing and reassessing whether my course design, individual classes, and assignments are meeting this ultimate objective. To this end, I elicit student feedback regularly throughout the course, making it clear to students that their learning is my ultimate goal and that learning is best achieved in a trusted partnership between student and teacher, with effort and input from both. Lastly, my teaching is fundamentally optimistic. I recognize in my students great potential, and my goal as an educator is to help them achieve it, as healthcare providers, as community and global leaders, and as scholars.
Development of advanced knowledge of management principles and use of appropriate treatment modalities based on anatomical, physiological, and psychosocial changes that occur during the normal processes of pregnancy.
Postpartum & Newborn Management
Development of advanced knowledge of management principles and use of appropriate advanced nursing measures based on anatomical, physiological, and psychosocial changes that occur during both normal and complicated postpartum and newborn periods, and the non-complicated infant to the age of one month.
Nurse Midwifery Practicum V
The fifth in a series, nurse midwifery students in this course build on the skills and knowledge gained in practicums I-IV. Students engage in clinical experiences in a variety of ambulatory and intrapartum specialty areas. Students will have opportunities to observe, assist, and provide care in specialty obstetrics, gynecology and primary care areas that could include but are not limited to birth complications, high risk obstetrics, infertility, ultrasound, antenatal testing, diabetes, pelvic floor disorders, surgery, and newborn care. Clinical course work can support the students’ DNP project. Students apply previous knowledge and skills, while gaining further expertise in the health care of women across the life span. They work under the supervision of preceptors.
- Clinical Immersion for Students without Labor and Delivery Experience, Course Development. Project Lead: Erin Cole. 10/01/2018 - present.
Cole, E. Motivational Interviewing Workshop, guest lecture, NURS 7612: NMW/WHNP Practicum II, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT. 11/18-11/28/2021
Cole, E. Motivational Interviewing Workshop, guest lecture, NURS 7612: NMW/WHNP Practicum II, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT. 09/24/2020 - 09/24/2020
Cole, E. Motivational Interviewing Workshop, guest lecture, NURS 7612: NMW/WHNP Practicum II, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT. 09/19/2019 - 09/19/2019
Microscopy Training Workshop, Guest Teaching, NURS 7108: Simulation for Women's Health Providers, University of Utah. 08/22/2019 - 08/22/2019
Perineal Suturing Workshop, Guest Teaching, NURS 7109: Ambulatory Care & Inpatient SIM for Women’s Health, University of Utah. 02/21/2019 - 02/21/2019
Medical Student Pelvic Exam Workshop, University of Utah Medical School. 04/18/2018 - 04/18/2018