Professor (Lecturer), English
- Department of English.
Role: Co-organizer with Scott Black. February 2018 conference hosted by the Department of English with keynote presentations by David Abram and Patrick Curry.
“Awe and Attention” Symposium -- organization/planning/hosting.
06/2017 - 02/2018
- Search Committee for hire in Video Game Narratives.
09/2022 - 02/2023.
- Dungeons and Dragons Society (official campus group).
01/2014 - 05/01/2017.
- UROP Faculty Sponsor for student Annika Pecchia-Bekkum.
08/2012 - 05/2013.
- Service-Learning Scholar Faculty Advisor for Annika Pecchia-Bekkum.
05/2012 - 05/2013.
- Faculty Mentor for Bachelor of Undergraduate Studies (BUS) student Alex Boren.
01/2012 - 05/2015.
- Honors College Value Rubric Development Committee.
09/2010 - 12/2010.
- Online Course Development Coordinator.
Faculty Representative and tutor for online course instruction by faculty and graduate students. I have also helped other departments in the Humanities who have requested guidance on online courses,
01/2010 - present.
- Great Move Game Society (official campus group).
01/2010 - 05/01/2018.
- Presented for Venture Academy (Charter High School) on “Tolkien and Four Kinds of Fantasy," Ogden, Utah.
10/14/2019 - 10/14/2019
- SaltCon, Layton, UT. Presented “Game Design 101.” Co-presentation with Dave Bailey and Ryan Laukat.
03/2015 - 03/2015
- Comic Con, September 2014, Salt Lake City, UT. Panelist, Board Game Designer and Publisher Panel . I was asked because I was both a University of Utah professor and a game designer.
09/2014 - 09/2014
- American Library Association, Las Vegas, NV. Presented “Component-Inspired Game Design for Libraries and Makerspaces.” I was asked because I was a both a Professor of English and a board game designer.
06/2014 - 06/2014
- SaltCon, Layton, UT. Presented “Materials as Mechanics: Component-Inspired Game Design.” I was asked both because I'm a university professor and a board game designer.
03/2014 - 03/2014
- English Department Faculty Representative and Host for the four-week Worlds of Fantasy author series at the Salt Lake City Library, an event sponsored by the Utah Humanities Council and the Department of English.
01/01/2013 - 01/31/2013
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Teaching Award. This award is set aside for faculty with eight or more years of service at the University of Utah and recognizes outstanding teaching, innovative pedagogy, concern for students, and exemplary contributions to the educational process outside the classroom.
University Teaching Committee, Academic Affairs,
- Faculty Teaching Award for Innovation in General Education -- Annual University-wide award. The award letter highlighted innovative pedagogy in the Humanities curriculum in my Gen Ed course Video Games and Storytelling.
University of Utah,
- Early Career Teaching Award -- Annual University-wide award to faculty rewarding distinction in teaching, demonstrated by activities that result in increased learning by students, such as the development of new methods or other curricular innovation.
University of Utah,
- College of Humanities Graduate Research Award.
College of Humanities,
- Tanner Doctoral Research Fellowship.
Tanner Humanities Center,
- Steffensen Cannon Scholarship.
- Ramona W. Cannon Award for Graduate Student Teaching Excellence.
- Vice-Presidential Fellowship .
- Tanner Graduate Research Fellowship .
Tanner Humanities Center,
In the Media
- “The Stigma Around Video Games is Changing,” Utah Business. 12/2022.
- “U Professors Discuss Game Design at Author Meets Reader Event,” Daily Utah Chronicle. 09/09/2022.
- “Playing Video Games for Credit: Faculty Feature with Alf Seegert”, College of Humanities News. 08/29/2022.
- “Can Interactive Fiction Be More Engaging Than Realistic Video Games?” Medium.com. The article profiles my research on how a game player’s performance creates a sense of presence even without the use of graphics. 10/31/2021.
- “12 Board Games that Fix the Biggest Problem with Settlers of Catan,” Inverse.com. Interview on ecology and colonization themes in games, and inclusion of my board game Haven in their Earth Day list. 04/21/2021.
- “Humans of the U – Professor Alf Seegert,” @theU. 08/12/2016.
- “Video Games Course has Students Playing for Credit,” Daily Utah Chronicle. 02/13/2016.
- ENGLISH PROF. REFLECTS ON LOVE FOR U, OPEN-ENDED LEARNING AND TEACHING. 03/2014.
- "U Student Researches Impact of Perspective," Daily Utah Chronicle article on my UROP with student Annika Pecchia-Bekkum. 03/21/2013.
- Continuum Magazine article/interview, "The Art of Play". 11/2011.
- Guardian UK, "Your Turn to Invent a Literary Board Game". 05/2011.
- Chronicle of Higher Education, "The Game Designer's Tale". 05/2011.