PhD through the Hartford Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence at the University of Utah College of Nursing. The areas I am focusing on are well-being, physical activity, and mobility. I am an adult and gerontologic nurse practitioner. My research goals includes a focus on interdisciplinary research related to community dwelling older adults, research involving health disparities, and perceptions of heart health of African Americans aged 40 and older living in Utah (qualitative research).
- Qualitative methods, esp. ethnography
- Perceptions of health
- Health and Well-Being
- Health Behavior
- Alcohol and Substance Abuse
- Aging, physical activity and mobility
- Wellness Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Substance Abuse Prevention
- Health and Exercise
- Cultural Diversity and Competency Standards
- Aging and Health Promotion
- Melissa Batchelor-Murphy, Sharon Bronner, Christine Tocchi, Valerie J. Flattes, J. Michelle Moccia, Professional Brand: Using the Nuts and Bolts of Social Media. Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA) 38th annual conference. Panel, Presented, 10/2019.
- Benefits and Challenges to Advanced Practice Registered Nurses Working in the Nursing Home Setting, L. S. Edelman, C. Martin, V. J. Flattes. Gerontological Society of American. Boston, MA. Poster, Presented, 11/15/2018.
- Sharon Bronner, J. Michelle Moccia, Christine Tocchi co-presenter, Valerie J. Flattes (presenter). Using Social Media Effectively to Enhance Health Care for Older Adults Across Practice Settings. Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA) 37th annual conference, Washington, D.C. Presentation, Presented, 10/06/2018.
- Valerie Flattes, Kara Dassel, & Linda Edelman. Development of a Novel Post-Acute/Long-Term Care Certificate. American Geriatric Society Annual Scientific Meeting. Orlando, FL. Poster, Presented, 05/04/2018.
- Flattes, V.J. Too few to count: Utah African Americans’ Perceptions of Heart Health. Sigma Theta Tau International. Biennial conference. Poster, Presented, 10/28/2017.
- Flattes, V.J. Too few to count: Perceptions of Heart Health in Utah African Americans. Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses, (GAPNA) 35th Annual Conference. Poster, Presented, 09/2016.
- Cariello, M., Flattes, V.J. Strategies to Prepare Students Across Programs for Success in Interprofessional Education. 3rd Annual Conference at Sea. Poster, Presented, 06/2016.
- Flattes, V.J. Too few to count: African Americans Perceptions of Heart Health. Western Institute of Nursing Conference. Communicating Nursing Research Conference . Poster, Presented, 04/2016.
- Cariello, M., Flattes, V.J. Innovative Approaches of Teaching Telemedicine to Health Science Students through Online Modules, Simulation & Clinical Immersion. 2016 Edu-SIM Conference. Transforming the Educational Landscape: Simulation, Innovation, and Technology. Poster, Presented, 03/2016.
- Bowers, M., Sabol, V. Todd, A., (organizers) Flattes, V., Moccia, J.M., Kriebel-Gasparro, A.M., Miller, J., Vermeesch, P., (facilitators). Research symposium. Pre-Conference Presentation (3 hours, 2.5 CEU), Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA) 33nd Annual Conference, Orlando, FL . Other, Presented, 09/17/2014.
- Research Symposium: Pre-conference Workshop 9/18/13 Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association. Facilitator: small group breakout session. Chicago, Ill. Other, Presented, 09/18/2013.
- 11/12 The Nurse Practitioner Experience Managing Unrelieved Symptoms of Chemotherapy with Oncology Outpatients Utilizing an Integrated Electronic Case Management System with Automated Symptom Reporting, Abstract presentation. Authors: Stephanie Nagata APRN, MS, FNP-BC, Valerie Flattes, APRN, MS, ANP-BC, Amie Clark APRN, MS, FNP-C, Debra Wujcik, PhD, RN, FAAN, AOCN, Kathleen Mooney, PhD, RN, FAAN, Susan Beck, PhD, APRN, FAAN, AOCN. Presentation, Presented, 11/2012.
- Innovations and Evidence-Based Practice: 6th annual Nursing Research Conference. Presentation: Tracking the Evidence for Community-Based, Group-Delivered Strength and Balance Classes to Prevent Falls among Older Adults. Authors: Valerie Flattes, Lauren Clark, Sallie Thoreson, Cynthia Goss, & Carolyn DiGuiseppi. Other, Presented, 10/28/2011.
- Western Institute of Nursing Conference: ATTAINING CULTURAL COMPETENCIES IN BACCALAUREATE NURSING EDUCATION: Cultural Competence and Mutual Respect (CCMR)-An Interdisciplinary Approach. Podium presentation panel with Sue Chase Cantarini and Lauren Clark. Invited Talk/Keynote, Other, 04/2009.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing 2008 Baccalaureate Education Conference, Abstract presentation: The Geriatric Nursing Leadership Program: Innovation in Nursing Baccarlaureate Degree Completion. Invited Talk/Keynote, Other, 12/05/2008.
07/01/03 - 06/30/06
Utah's NMW & WHNP Education for Six Western States.
Enhanced RN Credentials: Geriatric Care and Leadership
"Telephone Linked Care: An IT Enabled Integrated System for Cancer Symptom Relief”, (S. Beck and Kathi Mooney; Co-investigators); (funded RO1 research grant NIH, NCI & NINR co-funding: 1 RO1 CA120558) Role: NP provider
- English, fluent.
- Clark, L. , Thoreson, S., Goss, C., Marosits, M. , Zimmer, L., Flattes, V., & DiGuiseppi, C. (2020). Older adults’ perceptions of a church-based social marketing initiative to prevent falls through balance and strength classes. Journal of Applied Gerontology. Accepted, 12/02/2020.
- Dassel, K. B, Flattes, V., , Eaton, J.,, Towsley, G.,, Moyers, L., & Edelman, L. (2019). Development of a Gerontology Graduate Certificate in Post-Acute and Long-Term Care. Journal of Gerontological Nursing. Vol. 45(10), 47-52.