- Diploma - Nursing, Nursing, Lawrence Memorial Hospital School of Nursing
- Bachelor of Science, Nursing, University of Utah
- Healthcare Management Certificate, Department of Continuing Education, University of Utah
- Master of Science, Nursing, University of Utah. Project: Qualitative Study Design: The ATR Chair and Elders
- Interdisciplinary Gerontology Certificate, Gerontology, University of Utah
Valerie has been a faculty member at the University Of Utah College Of Nursing since 2001. Her background in nursing includes medical surgical nursing, obstetrics, long term care, emergency nursing, and home health care. Since 2003, she has practiced as an adult nurse practitioner. She is currently a PhD candidate at University of Utah Hartford Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence. Valerie has a strong commitment to community engagement and has served as a member or officer in several community organizations over the last 20 years. Valerie has shown a passion for teaching and gerontology. She and has been a champion of enhancing gerontology content in the nursing curriculum in the undergraduate and graduate programs.