- religion, ethical issues in religious practice
- physician-assisted suicide
- contraception, male
- aid in dying
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Population Studies - Developing Countries
- Population Control
- Infectious Disease
- Human Reproduction or Fertility
- Drugs or Drug Abuse; drugs "across the board"
- Aesthetics, puzzles about
- Brooke Hopkins and Margaret P. Battin, Love Under Trial. Memoir. Other, submitted 10/2013.
- Working group presentation, Berman Institute of Ethics, Johns Hopkins University. Presentation, Presented, 12/04/2020.
- Working Group, Hastings Center, "Dementia and the Ethics of Choosing When to Die". Presentation, Presented, 11/12/2020.
- Grand Rounds lecture, co-presented with Brent Kious MD, psychiatry, "Aid in Dying: Is Somatic Suffering Special?". Presentation, Presented, 02/27/2020.
- Panelist on ethical issues, National Clinicians Conference on Medical Aid in Dying, Berkeley, CA. Presentation, Presented, 02/14/2020.
- Plenary Lecture: "Death and Sex: Thought Experiments with Normative Force.” American Society for Bioethics and Humanities, annual meeting, Pittsburgh. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/26/2019.
- "Thinking All Wrong About How We Die, " Weill Cornell Medical, New York City. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 12/07/2017.
- Panel talk on psychedelic medicine at the end of life, University of Washington School of Law. Presentation, Presented, 10/27/2017.
- UTEMED video presentation, "Sex & Consequences". Presentation, Presented, 10/13/2017.
- Presentation on end-of-life issues, 2ND International Conference on End of Life Law, Ethics, Policy and Practice, Dalhousie Health Law Institute, Canada. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 09/13/2017.
- International Association for Suicide Prevention, On the relationship between suicide and physician-assisted dying, Kuching, Malaysia. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 07/19/2017.
- American Association of Suicidology, panel presentation on death with dignity. Presentation, Presented, 04/28/2017.
- American Philosophical Association Pacific Division, special program: Philosophical Issues in Death with Dignity. Other, Presented, 04/15/2017.
- Fink Professor, Washburn University; one week; main lecture on historical issues in suicide. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 03/28/2017.
- "Euthanasia's Enemies?" World Congress of Eight-to-Die Societies, Amsterdam, The Netherlands . Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 05/13/2016.
- "Suicide Prevention in an Age of Death With Dignity," American Association of Suicidology, Chicago, Ill. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 03/31/2016.
- "The Least Worst Death," Johns Hopkins University, Berman Institute of Bioethics. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 03/23/2015.
- Scott Crom Visiting Professor, lectures on end of life and male contraception, Beloit College, March 4-6, 2015. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 03/04/2015.
- "What Makes a Good Doctor? A Conversation between Margaret Battin and Robin Marantz Henig," The Hastings Center series, New York. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 11/18/2013.
- "The Least Worst Death: Moral Experience at Life's Edge," Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, Ethics Noon Conference. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 09/18/2013.
- "Oh Yeah! Male Contraception. At Last!" European Society for Philosophy of Medicine and Health Care, meeting in Basel, Switzerland. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 08/14/2013.
- Commentary on L.W. Sumner, Assisted Death: A Study in Law and Medicine (Oxford University Press, 2011), American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division. Conference Paper, Presented, 03/27/2013.
- Ancient Greek (to 1453), basic.
- French, basic.
- German, fluent.
- Latin, basic.
- Spanish, functional.
Extensive research over many years on physician-assisted suicide and voluntary euthanasia in the Netherlands.
- Brent Michael Kious, , J. Michael Bostwick, Lewis M. Cohen, Elizabeth Morrison, Thomas Strouse & Stuart Youngner (2021). Let's Ask the Right Questions About Medical Aid in Dying. Psychiatric Times. Published, 08/11/2021.
- Ty-Juan Markham & Margaret P. Battin (2021). "Renegade Acts of Compassion" and the Challenges of VSED, in Hastening Death by Voluntary Stopping Eating and Drinking. Oxford University Press. Published, 07/2021.
- Margaret Pabst Battin & Brent M. Kious (2021). Ending One's Life in Advance. Hastings Center Report. Vol. 51:3, 37-47. Published, 06/2021.
- Margaret Pabst Battin, Leslie P. Francis, Jay A. Jacobson & Charles B. Smith (2021). The Patient as Victim and Vector: Ethics and Infectious Disease, Reissue with New Preface on Covid-19. Oxford University Press. Published, 01/12/2021.
- Margaret Pabst Battin (2020). Selbsttötung und Rechte, Sterbehilfe und Ärtztlich Beihilfe zum Suizid, Grundlage Texte . Verlag Karl Alber. Published, 12/30/2020.
- Brent M. Kious & Margaret P. Battin (2019). Physician Aid-in-Dying and Suicide Prevention in Psychiatry: A Moral Crisis?. American Journal of Bioethics. Vol. 19, 29-39. Published, 09/2019.
- Margaret P. Battin (2018). The Development of the AAS Statement on "Suicide" and "Physician Aid in Dying". Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior. Published, 03/26/2018.
- Margaret P. Battin, Dominick A. DellaSala, ed. & Michael I. Goldstein, ed. (2018). Entry: Population: Growth, Decline, and Control. (pp. 319-330). Vol. 4. Encyclopedia of the Anthropocene, Elsevier. Published, 01/2018.
- Margaret P. Battin (2018). Could Suicide Really be a Fundamental Human Right? A Triple Threat, in Assisted Death and Human Dignity, Sebastian Muders, ed.. (pp. 199-217). Oxford University Press. Published, 01/01/2018.
- Marije Brouwer, Christopher Kaczor, Margaret P. Battin, Els Maeckelberghe, John D. Lantos, Eduard Verhagen. Ethics Rounds: If adult euthanasia is legal, should pediatric euthanasia be legal as well? Pediatrics, forthcoming 2017. Accepted, 04/2017.
- Battin MP, Edwards JH & Freedman RA (2016). Heart Transplantation on a Desert Island? Self-Sacrifice and Slippery Slopes. The Annals of thoracic surgery. Vol. 102, 1783-1784. Published, 11/01/2016.
- Review, with Brent M. Kious, of J. David Velleman, Beyond Price: Essays on Birth and Death (Open Book Publishers 2015), in Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, published online February/March 2016. Published, 02/2016.
- Timothy Quill and Margaret P. Battin, entry “Responding to Requests for Physician Aid in Dying,” UpToDate 2015. [online reference service for physicians]. Published, 09/18/2015.
- The Ethics of Suicide: Historical Sources. Comprehensive collection of historical sources concerning issues in suicide. Oxford University Press in partnership with J. Willard Marriot Library at the University of Utah for associated online Digital Archive. Received Honorable Mention, PROSE Award (American Publishers Awards for Professional and Scholarly Excellence), Category Philosophy, 2016.
- Perspective: “Thinking All Wrong about How You Die,” Hastings Center Report, July-August, 2015. (invited short piece).
- “Population Growth and Decline: Issues of Justice,” Routledge Companion to Bioethics, ed. John Arras, Rebecca Kukla, Elizabeth Fenton. New York and London: Routledge 2015, pp. 403-416.
- "The Ethics of Suicide: Philosophical and Religious Perspectives," in David Lester and James R. Rogers, eds., Suicide: A Global Issue. Volume 1, pp. 55-64. Santa Barbara, CA; Praeger, 2013. Published, 11/2013.
- Margaret P. Battin, "Terminal sedation: Recasting a metaphor as the ars moriendi changes," in Sigrdi Sterckx, Kasper Raus, and Freddy Mortier, eds., Continuous Sedation at the End of Life. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 2013, pp. 240-249. Published, 09/2013.
- Entry, “Bioethics,” International Encyclopedia of Ethics, 4th edition, Wiley-Blackwell, in press. Accepted, 03/28/2012.