Chair Department of Geology & Geophysics,
Mines And Earth Sciences-Dean,
University of Utah
Geology & Geophysics,
University of Utah
- Chan, M. A., and Kahmann-Robinson, J., 2014 (Dec 21, 2013, Epub ahead of print), Mars for Earthlings: An Analog Approach to Mars in Undergraduate Education: Astrobiology. V. 14, n. 1, p. 42-49.
- Potter, S.L., Allen, J.L., Lee, S.Y, Han, W.S., Chan, M.A., and McPherson, B.J., 2013, Iron Precipitation in a Natural CO2 Reservoir: Jurassic Navajo Sandstone in the northern San Rafael Swell, UT, USA: Geofluids v 13, p. 82-92.
- Reiners, P.W., Chan, M.A., Evenson, N.S., 2014, (U-Th)/He geochronology and chemical compositions of diagenetic cement, concretions, and fracture-filling oxide minerals in Mesozoic sandstones of the Colorado Plateau: Geological Society of America Bulletin v. 126, no. 9-10, p. 1363-1383. doi:10.1130/B30983.1.
- Chan, M.A., and Bruhn, R., 2014, Dynamic Liquefaction of Jurassic Sand Dunes: Processes, Origins, and Implications: Earth Surface Landforms and Processes, DOI: 10.1002/esp.3539.
- Chan, M.A., 2013, Geology as Science and Art (Chapter 3.3), in Tong, V. ed., Geoscience Research and Education: Teaching at Universities (book), Springer Verlag, p. 74-99.
- Chan, M.A., Potter, S.L., Bowen, B.B., Petersen, E.U., Parry, W. T., Bowman, J.R., Barge, L., and Seiler, W., 2012, Characteristics of terrestrial ferric oxide concretions and implications for Mars, in Grotzinger, J. and Milliken, R., Sedimentary geology of Mars: SEPM Special Publication 102, p. 253-270.
- Chan, M.A., Main, E., and McNary, J.C., 2012, The Transformative Educational Experience: A New Building Paradigm for Higher Education Campuses: Society of Campus and University Planners, v. 41 n. 1, online journal.
- Chan, M.A., Parry, W. T., Bowen, B.B., and Potter, S.L., 2011, Follow the water: Connecting a CO2 reservoir and bleached sandstone to iron-rich concretions in the Navajo Sandstone of south-central Utah, USA - COMMENT: Geology v. 39, doi: 10.1130/G31983C.1.
- Leer, K., Goetz, W., Chan, M.A., Hansen, M.F., Gorevan, S., Jensen, C.L., Kletetschka, G., Kusack, A., and Madsen, M.B., 2011, The RAT magnet experiment on Mars Exploration Rovers - Spirit and Opportunity beyond sol 500: Journal of Geophysical Research – Planets v. 116, E00F18, 8 p., doi:10.1029/2010JE003667.
- Chan, M.A., Nicoll, K., Ormö, J., Okubo, C., and Komatsu, G., 2011, Utah’s geologic and geomorphic analogs to Mars—An overview for planetary exploration, in Garry, W.B., and Bleacher, J.E., eds., Analogs for Planetary Exploration: Geological Society of America Special Paper 483, p. 349–375, doi:10.1130/2011.2483(22).
- Godsey, H., Oviatt, C.G., Miller, D.M., and Chan, M.A., 2011, Stratigraphy and chronology of offshore to nearshore deposits associated with the Provo shoreline, Pleistocene Lake Bonneville, Utah: Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v. 110, p. 442-450.
- Potter, S.L., and Chan, M.A., 2011, Iron mass transfer and fluid flow patterns in Jurassic Navajo Sandstone, southern Utah, U.S.A., Geofluids v. 11, p. 184-198.
- Netoff, D.I., and Chan, M.A., 2009, Aeolian activity at a giant sandstone weathering pit in arid south-central Utah: Earth Surface Processes and Landforms v. 34 p. 99-108. (Published Online: 5 Aug 2008).
- Okubo, C.H., Schultz, R.A., Chan, M.A., Komatsu, G., and HiRISE team, 2009, Deformation band clusters on Mars and Implications for Subsurface Fluid Flow: Geological Society of America Bulletin v. 121 no. 3-4 p. 474-482. DOI: 10.1130/B26421.1.
- Parry, W.T., Chan, M.A., and Nash, B.P, 2009, Diagenetic characteristics of the Jurassic Navajo Sandstone in the Covenant Oil Field, Central Utah Thrust Belt: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin v 93, p 1039-1061.
- Nielsen, G., and Chan, M.A., 2009, Mapping, architecture, and spatial correlation of diagenetic coloration facies, Jurassic Navajo Sandstone, Snow Canyon State Park, southwestern Utah, in Tripp, B.T., Krahulec, K., and Jordan, J.L., eds., Utah Geological Association Publication 38, Geology and Geological Resources and Issues of Western Utah, CD-ROM.
- Nielsen, G., Chan, M.A., and Petersen, E.U., 2009, Diagenetic coloration facies and alteration history of the Jurassic Navajo Sandstone, Zion National Park and vicinity, southwestern Utah: in Tripp, B.T., Krahulec, K., and Jordan, J.L., eds., Utah Geological Association Publication 38, Geology and Geological Resources and Issues of Western Utah, CD-ROM.