Professor, Geology & Geophysics
- Komatsu, G. Okubo, C.H., Wray, J.J., Gallagher, R., Ojha, L., Cardinale, M., Murana, A., Orosei, R., Chan, M.A., Ormö, J., and Gallagher, R., 2016, Small edifice features in Chryse Planitia, Mars: Assessment of a mud volcano hypothesis: Icarus 268, 56-75, doi: 10.1016/j.icarus.2015.12.032.
- Sato, T., and Chan, M.A., 2015, Fluvial facies architecture and sequence stratigraphy of the Tertiary Duchesne River Formation, Uinta Basin, Utah, U.S.A.: Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 85, p. 1438-1454..
- Mookerjee, M, Vieira, D., Chan, M. Gil, Y., Goodwin, C, Shipley, T., and Tikoff, B., 2015, We Need to Talk: Facilitating communication between field-based geoscience and cyberinfrastructure communities: GSA Today, v. 25, p. 34-35.
- Chan, M.A., 2015, The martian lake chronicles: Curiosity reveals evidence for ancient lakes on Mars: Science v. 350, p. 167.
- Wang, Y, Chan, M.A., and Merino, E., 2015, Self-organized iron-oxide cementation geometry as an indicator of paleo-flows: Cementation geometry as a paleo-environmental indicator: Nature Scientific Reports 5:10792 | DOI: 10.1038/srep10792.
- Gorenc, M., and Chan, M.A., 2015, Hydrocarbon-induced diagenetic alteration of the Permian White Rim Sandstone; Elaterite Basin, Southeast Utah: AAPG Bulletin v. 99, p. 807-829.
- Chan, M. A., and Kahmann-Robinson, J., 2015, Cooking Rocks: Teaching About Diagenesis on Earth and Mars. Journal of Geoscience Education v. 63, p. 57-65.
- Potter, S.L., Chan, M.A., and McPherson, B.J., 2014, Concretion Formation in Volcaniclastic Host Rocks: Evaluating the Role of Organics, Mineralogy, and Geochemistry On Early Diagenesis: Journal of Sedimentary Research v. 84, p. 875-892.
- Reiners, P.W., Chan, M.A., Evenson, N.S., 2014, (U-Th)/He geochronology and chemical compositions of diagenetic cement, concretions, and fracture-filling oxide minerals in Mesozoic sandstones of the Colorado Plateau: Geological Society of America Bulletin v. 126, no. 9-10, p. 1363-1383. doi:10.1130/B30983.1.
- Chan, M.A., and Bruhn, R., 2014, Dynamic Liquefaction of Jurassic Sand Dunes: Processes, Origins, and Implications: Earth Surface Landforms and Processes, DOI: 10.1002/esp.3539.
- Oviatt, C.G., Chan, M.A., Jewell, P.W., Bills, B.G., Madsen, D.B., and Miller, D. M., 2014, Interpretations of evidence for large Pleistocene paleolakes in the Bonneville basin, western North America: COMMENT on: Bonneville Basin Shoreline Records of Large Lake Intervals During Marine Isotope Stage 3 and the Last Glacial Maximum, by Nishizawa et al. (2013) : Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology v. 401 p. 173-176.
- Nielsen, G., Chan, M.A., and Bowen, B.B., 2014, Concentrated iron-oxide horizons in the Jurassic Navajo Sandstone, southwestern Utah: Precipitation mechanisms and impact on reservoir quality, in MacLean, J.S., Biek, R. F., and Huntoon, J.E., Utah’s Far South: Utah Geological Association Publication 43, p. 214-236.
- Essefi, E., Komatsu, G., Fairén, A.G., Chan, M.A., and Yaich, C., 2014, Groundwater influence on the aeolina sequence stratigraphy of the Mechertate-Chrita-Sidi El Hani system, Tunisian Sahel: Analogies to the wet-dry aeolian sequence stratigraphy at Meridiani Planum, Terby crater, Terby crater, and Gale crater, Mars: Planetary and Space Science v. 95, p. 56-78. in Komatsu, G., Goto, K., and Tanaka, K., eds., Planetary and Space Science special issue Planetary Geology Field Symposium, Kitakyushu, Japan, 2011: Planetary Geology and Terrestrial Analogs.
- Seiler, W. and Chan, M.A., 2014, Coloration and Diagenetic History of the Jurassic Navajo Sandstone at Coyote Buttes, Paria Canyon- Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness, Utah and Arizona, in MacLean, J.S., Biek, R. F., and Huntoon, J.E., Utah’s Far South: Utah Geological Association Publication 43, p. 237-257.
- Gorenc, M., Chan, M.A., and McPherson, B.J., 2014 Petrophysical heterogeneities of the Permian White Rim Sandstone of southeast Utah: Implications for reservoir properties and long-term storage of CO2, in MacLean, J.S., Biek, R. F., and Huntoon, J.E., Utah’s Far South: Utah Geological Association Publication 43, p. 199-214.
- Chan, M. A., and Kahmann-Robinson, J., 2014 (Dec 21, 2013, Epub ahead of print), Mars for Earthlings: An Analog Approach to Mars in Undergraduate Education: Astrobiology. V. 14, n. 1, p. 42-49.
- Potter, S.L., Allen, J.L., Lee, S.Y, Han, W.S., Chan, M.A., and McPherson, B.J., 2013, Iron Precipitation in a Natural CO2 Reservoir: Jurassic Navajo Sandstone in the northern San Rafael Swell, UT, USA: Geofluids v 13, p. 82-92.
- Chan, M.A., 2013, Geology as Science and Art (Chapter 3.3), in Tong, V. ed., Geoscience Research and Education: Teaching at Universities (book), Springer Verlag, p. 74-99.
- Chan, M.A., Potter, S.L., Bowen, B.B., Petersen, E.U., Parry, W. T., Bowman, J.R., Barge, L., and Seiler, W., 2012, Characteristics of terrestrial ferric oxide concretions and implications for Mars, in Grotzinger, J. and Milliken, R., Sedimentary geology of Mars: SEPM Special Publication 102, p. 253-270.
- Chan, M.A., Main, E., and McNary, J.C., 2012, The Transformative Educational Experience: A New Building Paradigm for Higher Education Campuses: Society of Campus and University Planners, v. 41 n. 1, online journal.
- Chan, M.A., Parry, W. T., Bowen, B.B., and Potter, S.L., 2011, Follow the water: Connecting a CO2 reservoir and bleached sandstone to iron-rich concretions in the Navajo Sandstone of south-central Utah, USA - COMMENT: Geology v. 39, doi: 10.1130/G31983C.1.
- Leer, K., Goetz, W., Chan, M.A., Hansen, M.F., Gorevan, S., Jensen, C.L., Kletetschka, G., Kusack, A., and Madsen, M.B., 2011, The RAT magnet experiment on Mars Exploration Rovers - Spirit and Opportunity beyond sol 500: Journal of Geophysical Research – Planets v. 116, E00F18, 8 p., doi:10.1029/2010JE003667.
- Chan, M.A., Nicoll, K., Ormö, J., Okubo, C., and Komatsu, G., 2011, Utah’s geologic and geomorphic analogs to Mars—An overview for planetary exploration, in Garry, W.B., and Bleacher, J.E., eds., Analogs for Planetary Exploration: Geological Society of America Special Paper 483, p. 349–375, doi:10.1130/2011.2483(22).
- Godsey, H., Oviatt, C.G., Miller, D.M., and Chan, M.A., 2011, Stratigraphy and chronology of offshore to nearshore deposits associated with the Provo shoreline, Pleistocene Lake Bonneville, Utah: Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v. 110, p. 442-450.
- Potter, S.L., and Chan, M.A., 2011, Iron mass transfer and fluid flow patterns in Jurassic Navajo Sandstone, southern Utah, U.S.A., Geofluids v. 11, p. 184-198.
- Netoff, D.I., and Chan, M.A., 2009, Aeolian activity at a giant sandstone weathering pit in arid south-central Utah: Earth Surface Processes and Landforms v. 34 p. 99-108. (Published Online: 5 Aug 2008).
- Okubo, C.H., Schultz, R.A., Chan, M.A., Komatsu, G., and HiRISE team, 2009, Deformation band clusters on Mars and Implications for Subsurface Fluid Flow: Geological Society of America Bulletin v. 121 no. 3-4 p. 474-482. DOI: 10.1130/B26421.1.
- Parry, W.T., Chan, M.A., and Nash, B.P, 2009, Diagenetic characteristics of the Jurassic Navajo Sandstone in the Covenant Oil Field, Central Utah Thrust Belt: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin v 93, p 1039-1061.
- Nielsen, G., and Chan, M.A., 2009, Mapping, architecture, and spatial correlation of diagenetic coloration facies, Jurassic Navajo Sandstone, Snow Canyon State Park, southwestern Utah, in Tripp, B.T., Krahulec, K., and Jordan, J.L., eds., Utah Geological Association Publication 38, Geology and Geological Resources and Issues of Western Utah, CD-ROM.
- Nielsen, G., Chan, M.A., and Petersen, E.U., 2009, Diagenetic coloration facies and alteration history of the Jurassic Navajo Sandstone, Zion National Park and vicinity, southwestern Utah: in Tripp, B.T., Krahulec, K., and Jordan, J.L., eds., Utah Geological Association Publication 38, Geology and Geological Resources and Issues of Western Utah, CD-ROM.