I am a physical therapist researcher with a background in exercise training for individuals with diabetes and metabolic syndrome. My research examines the impact of lifestyle changes including exercise, diet and physical activity, on functional performance, disability and quality of life. I am especially interested in translating successful laboratory investigations of lifestyle interventions to the community where they can be scaled to the larger population. I serve as the Chief Wellness Officer for University of Utah Health and lead the Office of Wellness and Integrative Health, oversee the fully CDC recognized Utah National Diabetes Prevention Program (UDPP), and serve on the leadership team of the Larry H. and Gail Miller Family Foundation’s Driving Out Diabetes Initiative. I am also the Director of Wellness Research for the University of Utah Center for Clinical & Translational Sciences (CCTS) where I oversee clinical wellness services and research protocols at the L.S. Skaggs Patient Wellness Center on our campus in partnership with the CCTS. In these roles I work regularly with research investigators at the University, its associated Health Colleges and CCTS Hub Partners, providers and health coaches to encourage patient engagement with healthy lifestyle changes. The Skaggs Patient Wellness Center serves as an incubator for novel approaches to wellness and exercise based therapies for disease populations that can be adapted for and disseminated to people and patients across the Wasatch Front.
- Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Community Exercise Programs
- Locke A, Cedillo M, Gershenoff, Marcus RL, Conroy M. Team-based care for health behavior change: A primary care-embedded health coach pilot. Society of General Internal Medicine 2018 Mountain West Regional Meeting. [Abstract] Salt Lake city, UT, October 2018. Poster, Presented, 10/01/2018.
- Marcus RL. Engaged: A Systems Approach to Provider Well-Being. Neurology Grand Rounds, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, September 2018. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 09/27/2018.
- Morrow E, Locke A, Call M, Marcus RL. The First Year of a Resiliency Center: Program Development and Utilization, National Summit on Promoting Well-Being and Resilience in Healthcare Providers [Abstract]. Columbus, OH, September 2018. Poster, Presented, 06/01/2018.
- Geriatrics Grand Rounds March 2018, Stepping out: Physical activity for older adults with diabetes and its complications. University of Utah SOM. Presentation, Presented, 03/06/2018.
- Friedman M, Stilphen M, Johnson J, Marcus RL. AM-PAC: Not Just for G Coding. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association. New Orleans, LA Feb 2018. Presentation, Presented, 02/24/2018.
- Marcus RL, Thackeray A, Painter P. Association of The Patient Reported Outcomes Measurement System Scales with Physical Performance Measures in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease [Abstract]. New Orleans, LA, CSM 2018. Poster, Presented, 02/23/2018.
- 2018 Kluding P, Marcus RL, Bittel D, Rucker J. Stepping Out: Physical Activity for Older Adults with Diabetic Complications. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association. New Orleans, LA Feb 2018. Presentation, Presented, 02/23/2018.
- Johnson J, Marcus RL. The trajectory of patient mobility across acute care and skilled nursing facility stays is a marker of discharge disposition [Abstract]. New Orleans, LA, CSM 2018. Poster, Presented, 02/22/2018.
- Lohse B, Bento H, Johnson J, Noren C, Marcus RL. Early Mobility Improvement is Associated with Discharge to Home in Patients Post Coronary Artery Bypass Graft [Abstract]. New Orleans, LA, CSM 2018. Presentation, Presented, 02/22/2018.
- Banner M, Johnson J, Wilkinson N, Noren C, Marcus RL. Shifting physical therapy time toward patients with an ICU event can improve patient centered outcomes [Abstract]. New Orleans, LA, CSM 2018. Presentation, Presented, 02/22/2018.
- Eccentric Exercise Training in Sport and Rehabilitation: Eccentric Exercise as a Novel Rehabilitation Modality, 2011 European College of Sport Science Congress. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 07/2011.
- 8th Annual Rocky Mountain Geriatrics Conference: Impaired Muscle and Mobility, the Road from Functional to Frail, Park City, UT. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 07/2010.
- Exploiting Exercise and Motor Control Physiology To Optimize Outcomes, American Physical Therapy Association, Utah Chapter Annual Conference, Layton, UT. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 07/2009.
- 7th Annual Rocky Mountain Geriatrics Conference: Updates in Geriatrics: Crossing Disciplines and Distance. Aging and Fat: The Obvious and Not so Obvious Depots and Impact. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 07/2009.
- Robin Marcus, Other. Skeletal Muscle Exercise Research Facility. 01/01/2006 - present.
Research Equipment and Testing Expertise
- Kin-Com Isokinetic Dynamometer, Nottingham Power Rig, Mobility and Physical Performance Testing.
- English, fluent.
- Foreman KB, Singer ML, Addison O, Marcus RL, Lastayo PC, Dibble LE. Effects of dopamine replacement therapy on lower extremity kinetics and kinematics during a rapid force production task in persons with Parkinson disease. Gait Posture. 2013. doi:10.1016/j.gaitpost.2013.07.114. Published, 08/2013.
- Lastayo P, Marcus RL, Dibble L, Frajacomo F, Lindstedt SL. Eccentric exercise in rehabilitation: safety, feasibility, and application. J Appl Physiol. 2013. doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.00008.2013. Published, 07/2013.
- Goodman MJ, Ghate SR, Mavros P, et al. Development of a practical screening tool to predict low muscle mass using NHANES 1999-2004. J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2013. doi:10.1007/sl3539-013-0107-9. Published, 05/2013.
- Painter P, Marcus RL. Assessing physical function and physical activity in patients with CKD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;8(5):861-872. doi:10.2215/CJN/06590712. Published, 12/06/2012.
- Gibson BS, Colberg SR, Poirier P, Vancea DMM, Jones J, Marcus R. Development and validation of a predictive model of acute glucose reponse to exercise in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2013;5(1):33. doi:10.1186/1758-5996-5-33. Published, 12/2012.
- Yoshida Y, Marcus RL, Lastayo PC. Intramuscular adipose tissue and central activation in older adults. Muscle Nerve. 2012;46(5):813-816. doi:10.1002/mus.23506. Published, 11/2012.
- Smith AG, Marcus RL. Exercise for diabetic neuropathy: a toe in the therapeutic door. J Diabetes Complicat. 2012;26(5):361-362. doi:10.1016/jdiacomp.2012.06.005. Published, 10/2012.
- Addison O, LaStayo PC, Dibble LE, Marcus RL. Inflammation, aging, and adiposity: implications for physical therapists. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2012;35(2):86-94. doi:10.1519/JPT.0b013e3182312b14. Published, 04/2012.
- Gibson B, Marcus RL, Staggers N. Jones J. Samore M, Weir C. Efficacy of a computerized simulation in promoting walking in individuals with diabetes. J Med Internet Res. 2012;14(3):371. doi:10.2196/jmir.1965. Published, 10/2012.
- Marcus RL, Brixner DI, Ghate S, Lastayo P. Fat modulates the relationship between sarcopenia and physical function in nonobese older adults. Curr Gerontol Geriatr Res. 2012;2012:216185. doi:10.1155.2012/216185. Published, 01/2012.
- Drummond MJ, Marcus RL, Lastayo PC. Targeting anabolic impairment in response to resistance exercise in older adults with mobility impairments: potential mechanisms and rehabilitation approaches. J Aging Res. 2012;2012:486930. doi:10.1155/2012/486930. Published, 01/2012.
- Marcus RL, Addison O, Dibble LE, Foreman KB, Morrell G, Lastoya P. Intramuscular adipose tissue, sarcopenia, and mobility function in older individuals. J Aging Res. 2012;2012:629637. doi:10.1155/2012/629637. Published, 02/2012.
- Lastayo PC, Marcus RL, Dibble LE, Smith SB, Beck SL. Eccentric exercise versus usual-care with older cancer survivors: the impact on muscle and mobility--an exploratory pilot study. BMC Geriatr. 2011;11:5. doi:10.1186/1471-2318-11-5. Published, 01/2011.
- Marcus RL, Yoshida Y, Meier W, Peters CL, Lastayo PC. An eccentrically-biased rehabilitation program early after TKA surgery. Arthritis 2011;2011:353149. doi:10.1155/2011/353149. Published, 07/2011.
- Lastayo PC, Larsen S, Smith S, Dibble L, Marcus RL. The feasibility and efficacy of eccentric exercise with older cancer survivors: a preliminary study. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2010:33(3):135-140. Published, 01/2010.
- Hebert JJ, Marcus RL, Koppenhaver SL, Fritz JM. Postoperative rehabilitation following lumbar discectomy with quantification of trunk muscle morphology and function: a case report and review of the literature. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2010;40(7):402-412. doi:10.2519/jospt.2010.3332. Published, 01/2011.
- Dibble LE, Hale TF, Marcus RL, Gerber JP, Lastayo PC. High intensity eccentric resistance training decreases bradykinesia and improves quality of life in persons with Parkinson disease: a preliminary study. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2009;15(10:752-757. doi:10/1016/j.parkreldis.2009.04.009. Published, 06/2009.
- Lastayo PC, Meier W, Marcus RL, Mizner R, Dibble L, Peters C. Reversing muscle and mobility deficits 1 to 4 years after TKA: a pilot study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467(6):1493-1500. doi:10.1007/sl1999-009-0801-2. Published, 03/2009.
- Marcus RL, Lastayo PC, Dibble LE, Hill L, McClain DA. Increased strength and physical performance with eccentric training in women with impaired glucose tolerance: a pilot study. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2009;18(2):253-260. doi:10.1089/jwh.2007.0669.. Published, 02/2009.
- Gerber JP, Marcus RL, Dibble LE, Greis PE, Burks RT, Lastayo PC. Effects of early progressive eccentric exercise on muscle size and function after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a 1-year follow-up study of a randomized clinical trial. Phys Ther. 2009;89(1):51-59. doi:10.2522/ptj.20070189. Published, 11/2008.
- Gerber JP, Marcus RL, Dibble LE, Greis P, Burks RT, Lastayo PC. The use of eccentrically-biased resistance exercise to mitigate muscle impairments following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a short review. Sports Health. 2009;1(1):3313-38. doi:10.1177/1941738108327531. Published, 01/2009.
- Kidde J, Marcus R, Dibble L, Smith S, Lastayo P. Regional muscle and whole-body composition factors related to mobility in older individuals: a review. Physiother Can. 2009;61(4):197-209. doi:10.3138/physio.61.4.197. Published, 11/2009.
- Meier WA, Marcus RL, Dibble LE, et al. The long-term contribution of muscle activation and muscle size to quadriceps weakness following total knee arthroplasty. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2009;32(2):79-82. Published, 01/2009.
- Marcus RL, Smith S, Morrell G, et al. Comparison of combined aerobic and high-force eccentric resistance exercise with aerobic exercise only for people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Phys Ther. 2008;88(11):1345-1354. doi:10.2522/ptj.20080124. Published, 11/2008.
- Kirkness CS, Marcus RL, Lastayo PC, Asche CV, Fritz JM. Diabetes and associated risk factors in patients referred for physical therapy in a national primary care electronic medical record database. Phys Ther. 2008;88(11):1408-1416. doi:10.2522/ptj.20080129. Published, 10/2008.
- Meier W, Mizner RL, Marcus RL, Dibble LE, Peters C, Lastayo PC. Total knee arthroplasty: muscle impairments, functional limitations, and recommended rehabilitation approaches. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2008;38(5):246-256. doi:10.2519/jospt.2008.2715. Published, 12/2008.
- Christensen JC, Foreman KB, LaStayo PC, Marcus RL, Pelt CE & Mizner RL (2019). Comparison of 2 Forms of Kinetic Biofeedback on the Immediate Correction of Knee Extensor Moment Asymmetry Following Total Knee Arthroplasty During Decline Walking. The Journal of orthopaedic and sports physical therapy. Vol. 49, 105-111. Published, 02/01/2019.
- Reidy PT, McKenzie AI, Mahmassani Z, Morrow VR, Yonemura NM, Hopkins PN, Marcus RL, Rondina MT, Lin YK & Drummond MJ (2019). Skeletal muscle ceramides and relationship with insulin sensitivity after 2 weeks of simulated sedentary behaviour and recovery in healthy older adults. The Journal of physiology. Vol. 596, 5217-5236. Published, 01/01/2019.
- Johnson JK, Lohse B, Bento HA, Noren CS, Marcus RL & Tonna JE (2019). Improving Outcomes for Critically Ill Cardiovascular Patients Through Increased Physical Therapy Staffing. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. Vol. 100, 270-277.e1. Published, 01/01/2019.
- Reidy PT, Lindsay CC, McKenzie AI, Fry CS, Supiano MA, Marcus RL, LaStayo PC & Drummond MJ (2018). Aging-related effects of bed rest followed by eccentric exercise rehabilitation on skeletal muscle macrophages and insulin sensitivity. Experimental gerontology. Vol. 107, 37-49. Published, 12/01/2018.
- Briggs RA, Houck JR, LaStayo PC, Fritz JM, Drummond MJ & Marcus RL (2018). High-Intensity Multimodal Resistance Training Improves Muscle Function, Symmetry during a Sit-to-Stand Task, and Physical Function Following Hip Fracture. The journal of nutrition, health & aging. Vol. 22, 431-438. Published, 11/01/2018.
- Christensen JC, LaStayo PC, Mizner RL, Marcus RL, Pelt CE, Stoddard GJ & Foreman KB (2018). Joint mechanical asymmetries during low- and high-demand mobility tasks: Comparison between total knee arthroplasty and healthy-matched peers. (pp. 104-110). Vol. 60. Gait & posture. Published, 10/01/2018.
- Briggs RA, Houck JR, Drummond MJ, Fritz JM, LaStayo PC & Marcus RL (2018). Asymmetries Identified in Sit-to-Stand Task Explain Physical Function After Hip Fracture. Journal of geriatric physical therapy (2001). Vol. 41, 210-217. Published, 09/01/2018.
- Christensen JC, Mizner RL, Foreman KB, Marcus RL, Pelt CE & LaStayo PC (2018). Quadriceps weakness preferentially predicts detrimental gait compensations among common impairments after total knee arthroplasty. Journal of orthopaedic research : official publication of the Orthopaedic Research Society. Vol. 36, 2355-2363. Published, 09/01/2018.
- Christensen JC, LaStayo PC, Marcus RL, Stoddard GJ, Bo Foreman K, Mizner RL, Peters CL & Pelt CE (2018). Visual knee-kinetic biofeedback technique normalizes gait abnormalities during high-demand mobility after total knee arthroplasty. The Knee. Vol. 25, 73-82. Published, 08/01/2018.
- Morrow E, Call M, Marcus R & Locke A (2018). Focus on the Quadruple Aim: Development of a Resiliency Center to Promote Faculty and Staff Wellness Initiatives. Joint Commission journal on quality and patient safety. Vol. 44, 293-298. Published, 05/01/2018.
- Briggs RA, Houck JR, Drummond MJ, Fritz JM, LaStayo PC & Marcus RL (2018). Muscle Quality Improves with Extended High-Intensity Resistance Training after Hip Fracture. The Journal of frailty & aging. Vol. 7, 51-56. Published, 04/01/2018.
- Kluding PM, Singleton JR, Pasnoor M, Dimachkie MM, Barohn RJ, Smith AG & Marcus RL (2017). Activity for Diabetic Polyneuropathy (ADAPT): Study Design and Protocol for a 2-Site Randomized Controlled Trial. Physical therapy. Vol. 97, 20-31. Published, 10/01/2017.
- Magel J, Fritz JM, Greene T, Kjaer P, Marcus RL & Brennan GP (2017). Outcomes of Patients With Acute Low Back Pain Stratified by the STarT Back Screening Tool: Secondary Analysis of a Randomized Trial. Physical therapy. Vol. 97, 330-337. Published, 07/01/2017.
- Chung-Hoon K, Tracy BL, Dibble LE, Marcus RL, Burgess P & LaStayo PC (2016). The Association Between Knee Extensor Force Steadiness, Force Accuracy, and Mobility in Older Adults Who Have Fallen. Journal of geriatric physical therapy (2001). Vol. 39, 1-7. Published, 09/01/2016.
- Smith JW, Marcus RL, Tracy BL, Foreman KB, Christensen JC & LaStayo PC (2016). Stance time variability during stair stepping before and after total knee arthroplasty: A pilot study. Human movement science. Vol. 45, 53-62. Published, 07/01/2016.
- Tanner RE, Brunker LB, Agergaard J, Barrows KM, Briggs RA, Kwon OS, Young LM, Hopkins PN, Volpi E, Marcus RL, LaStayo PC & Drummond MJ (2016). Age-related differences in lean mass, protein synthesis and skeletal muscle markers of proteolysis after bed rest and exercise rehabilitation. The Journal of physiology. Vol. 593, 4259-73. Published, 06/01/2016.
- Singleton JR, Smith AG & Marcus RL (2016). Exercise as Therapy for Diabetic and Prediabetic Neuropathy. Current diabetes reports. Vol. 15, 120. Published, 04/01/2016.
- Anderton N, Giri A, Wei G, Marcus RL, Chen X, Bjordahl T, Habib A, Herrera J & Beddhu S (2016). Sedentary Behavior in Individuals With Diabetic Chronic Kidney Disease and Maintenance Hemodialysis. Journal of renal nutrition : the official journal of the Council on Renal Nutrition of the National Kidney Foundation. Vol. 25, 364-70. Published, 04/01/2016.
- Marcus RL, LaStayo PC, Ikizler TA, Wei G, Giri A, Chen X, Morrell G, Painter P & Beddhu S (2016). Low Physical Function in Maintenance Hemodialysis Patients Is Independent of Muscle Mass and Comorbidity. Journal of renal nutrition : the official journal of the Council on Renal Nutrition of the National Kidney Foundation. Vol. 25, 371-5. Published, 04/01/2016.
- Beddhu S, Wei G, Marcus RL, Chonchol M & Greene T (2016). Light-intensity physical activities and mortality in the United States general population and CKD subpopulation. Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN. Vol. 10, 1145-53. Published, 04/01/2016.
- Dibble LE, Foreman KB, Addison O, Marcus RL & LaStayo PC (2015). Exercise and medication effects on persons with Parkinson disease across the domains of disability: a randomized clinical trial. Journal of neurologic physical therapy : JNPT. Vol. 39, 85-92. Published, 12/01/2015.
- Martinson M, Ikizler TA, Morrell G, Wei G, Almeida N, Marcus RL, Filipowicz R, Greene TH & Beddhu S (2015). Associations of body size and body composition with functional ability and quality of life in hemodialysis patients. Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN. Vol. 9, 1082-90. Published, 09/01/2015.
- Addison O, Drummond MJ, LaStayo PC, Dibble LE, Wende AR, McClain DA & Marcus RL (2015). Intramuscular fat and inflammation differ in older adults: the impact of frailty and inactivity. The journal of nutrition, health & aging. Vol. 18, 532-8. Published, 09/01/2015.
- Chung-Hoon K, Tracy BL, Marcus R, Dibble L, Burgess P & Lastayo PC (2015). Effects of practice on variability of muscle force. Perceptual and motor skills. Vol. 120, 475-90. Published, 09/01/2015.
- Singleton JR, Marcus RL, Lessard MK, Jackson JE & Smith AG (2015). Supervised exercise improves cutaneous reinnervation capacity in metabolic syndrome patients. Annals of neurology. Vol. 77, 146-53. Published, 03/01/2015.
- Jacobs JL, Marcus RL, Morrell G & LaStayo P (2015). Resistance exercise with older fallers: its impact on intermuscular adipose tissue. BioMed research international. Vol. 2014, 398960. Published, 02/01/2015.
- Le Cara EC, Marcus RL, Dempsey AR, Hoffman MD & Hebert JJ (2014). Morphology versus function: the relationship between lumbar multifidus intramuscular adipose tissue and muscle function among patients with low back pain. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. Vol. 95, 1846-52. Published, 12/01/2014.
- Singleton JR, Marcus RL, Jackson JE, K Lessard M, Graham TE & Smith AG (2014). Exercise increases cutaneous nerve density in diabetic patients without neuropathy. Annals of clinical and translational neurology. Vol. 1, 844-9. Published, 12/01/2014.
- Drummond MJ, Addison O, Brunker L, Hopkins PN, McClain DA, LaStayo PC & Marcus RL (2014). Downregulation of E3 ubiquitin ligases and mitophagy-related genes in skeletal muscle of physically inactive, frail older women: a cross-sectional comparison. (pp. 1040-8). Vol. 69. The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. Published, 09/01/2014.
- Addison O, Marcus RL, Lastayo PC & Ryan AS (2014). Intermuscular fat: a review of the consequences and causes. International journal of endocrinology. Vol. 2014, 309570. Published, 06/01/2014.
- Marcus RL, Graybill CS, Lastayo PC. Impaired muscle and mobility: the road from menopause to frailty. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2007;50(3):776-789. doi:10.1097/GRF.0b013e3180dbc37d. Published, 09/2007.
- Gerber JP, Marcus RL, Dibble LE, Greis PE, Burks RT, Lastayo PC. Effects of early progressive eccentric exercise on muscle structure after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89(3):559-570. doi:10.2106/JBJS.F.00385. Published, 03/2007.
- Gerber JP, Marcus RL, Dibble LE, Greis PE, Burks RT, Lastayo PC. Safety, feasibility, and efficacy of negative work exercise via eccentric muscle activity following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2007;37(1):10-18. doi:10.2519/jospt.2007.2362. Published, 01/2007.
- Dibble LE, Hale T, Marcus RL, Gerber JP, Lastayo PC. The safety and feasibility of high-force eccentric resistance exercise in persons with Parkinson's disease. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006;87(9):1280-1282. doi:10.1016/j.apmr.2006.05.016. Published, 09/2006.