Emeritus Staff, Anthropology Department
Director, Archaeological Center, Anthropology Department
Distinguished Prof Emeritus, Anthropology Department
- O"Connell JF, Allen J 2015 The process, biotic impact, and global implications of the human colonization of Sahul, about 47,000 years ago. Journal of Archaeological Science 56:73-84.
- Codding BF, O'Connell JF, Bird DW 2014 Shellfishing and the colonization of Sahul: A multivariate model evaluating the dynamic effects of prey utility, transport costs and life history on foraging patterns and midden composition. Journal of Island and Coastal Archaeology 9:238-252.
- Allen J, O'Connell JF 2014 Half-right: updating the evidence for first human arrivals in Sahul. Australian Archaeology 79:86-108.
- Simms SR, O'Connell JF, Jones KT 2014 Some thoughts on evolution, ecology and archaeology in the Great Basin. In N Parezo, J Janetski (eds), Archaeology in the Great Basin and Southwest, Papers in Honor of Don D. Fowler, pp. 177-188. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
- Hawkes K, O'Connell JF, Blurton Jones NG 2014 More lessons from the Hadza. Human Nature (in press).
In press, 05/2014.
- O'Connell, JF, Allen J , 2012 The Restaurant at the End of the Universe: modeling the colonization of Sahul. Australian Archaeology 74:5-17.
- Bird, D.W., and J. F. O’Connell 2012 Human behavioral ecology. In Archaeological Theory Today, edited by I. Hodder, pp. 37-61. Hoboken: Polity Press.
- Faith JT, O'Connell JF 2011 Revisiting the Late Pleistocene mammal extinction record at Tight Entrance Cave, southwestern Australia. Quaternary Research 76:397-400.
- O'Connell JF 2011 Remembering Lew Binford. Mitteilungen der Gesellschaft fur Urgeshichte 20:79-89.
- Comment on Shea (2010): “Homo sapiens is as Homo sapiens was: Behavioral variability vs. ‘behavioral modernity’ in Paleolithic archaeology.” Current Anthropology 52, 20-21.
- Allen, J., and J.F. O’Connell. 2010 First humans in Melanesia: a review of recent data. Ancetres oceaniens – Oceanic Ancestors, edited by C. Sand and S. Bedford, pp. 42-57. Paris: Musee du quai Branly.
- O'Connell, J.F.. On Robert Fleming Heizer as graduate supervisor. California Archaeology 2(2): nn-nn.
- O’Connell, J.F., and S. Arnold-Boomgarden. University of Utah Archaeological Center Report of Activities, 2002-2010 (three pp. text, plus 30 pp. bibliographic appendix).
- Trammell, J.B., and J.F. O’Connell. Final report of Surface Survey and Test Excavation at Leonard Hot Springs Site, Surprise Valley, California (137 pp., 19 tables, 90 figures). Submitted to Bureau of Land Management, Surprise Valley Resource Area, Cedarville, CA.
- O’Connell, J.F. Forward to The Paleoanthropology and Archaeology of Big-Game Hunting: Protein, Fat or Politics? By John Speth. New York: Springer.
- Hawkes, K., J.F. O’Connell, and J. Coxworth. 2010 Family provisioning is not the only reason men hunt. Current Anthropology 51: 259-264.
- Cosgrove, R., J. Field, J. Garvey, J. Brenner-Coltrain, A. Goede, B. Charles, S. Wroe, A. Pike-Tay, R. Grün. M. Aubert, W. Lees, and J.F. O’Connell. 2010 Overdone overkill – the archaeological perspective on Tasmanian megafaunal extinctions. Journal of Archaeological Science 37:2486-2503.
- O’Connell, J.F., J. Allen, and K. Hawkes. 2010 Pleistocene Sahul and the origins of seafaring. In The Global Origins and Development of Seafaring, edited by A. Anderson, J. Barrett and K. Boyle, pp. 57-68. Cambridge: McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research.
- O’Connell, J.F. Forward to Evolutionary Ecology and Archaeology: Applications to Problems in Human Evolution and Prehistory, edited by J. Broughton & M. Cannon, p. xiii. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
- Gleick, P.H. and 263 other members of the US National Academy of Sciences (including J. F. O’Connell). Climate change and the integrity of science (Letter to the Editor). Science 328:689-690.
- O’Connell, J.F. Abstract: How and why was Sahul colonized so rapidly? Why did the material record change so slowly over such a long period thereafter? Explanatory hypotheses from foraging theory and preliminary tests. PaleoAnthropology 2010:A24.
- Trammell, J.B., B. Larsen, and J.F. O’Connell. Report of Archaeological Survey and Testing at Entrada Ranch-12/2008. Prepared for and submitted to Office of the Vice President for Research, University of Utah.
- Trammell, J.B., J. DeGraffenried, and J.F. O’Connell Report of Archaeological Survey of Middle and Upper Reaches of the Old River Bed, Tooele and Juab counties, Utah. Prepared for and submitted to Dugway Proving Ground and BLM Fillmore District.