My research advances and translates theoretical work in conflict, conflict management, aging, and intergenerational relationships into practical explanations, implications, and guidelines for younger care providers working with elderly patients. My work also translates theories in these areas to guidelines for nursing home personnel, families of elderly individuals living in nursing homes, and residents themselves. Recent work investigates the implicit or lay theories older adults have for successful aging. This research refines successful aging theory and potentially improves the interactions of people providing assistance to elderly individuals coping with bereavement.
- Research Methods/Statistics
- Interpersonal Communication
- Health Communication
- Communication and Aging
- Heaton, R. L., & Bergstrom, M. J. (2013). Who Can I Turn To? Similarities and Differences Among Relationships Avoided and Chosen for Disclosure of Taboo Topics. Paper to be presented at the annual meeting of the National Communication Association, Washington D.C. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 11/22/2013.
- Krakow, M., Liu, M., Bergstrom, M. J., & Jensen, J. (2013). Assessing Patient Satisfaction with Provider Communication: A Network Text Analysis of Responses from a Low Socioeconomic Population. Paper to be presented at the annual meeting of the National Communication Association, Washington D.C. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 11/22/2013.
- Heaton, R. L., & Bergstrom, M. J. (2013). Abortion as a Taboo Topic: A Network Text Analysis of Abortion Disclosure Decisions and boundary Coordination. Top Four Paper presented at the annual meeting of WSCA, Reno, Nevada. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 02/17/2013.
- Developing an evidenced-based decision making tool for parents considering permanent tracheostomy for a child. PI: Mark Bergstrom and Jake Jensen. Co-PI(s): Dr. Joan Sheetz (M.D., Pediatrics), and Dr. Christopher G. Maloney (M.D., Ph.D., Pediatrics). . Sorenson Legacy Foundation, 07/01/2013 - 07/01/2014. Total project budget to date: $5,000.00
- Bergstrom, M. J. (2012). Theory and Conceptualization in Communication Research. In J. F. Nussbaum (ed.), Readings in Communication Research Methods: From Theory to Practice. San Diego CA: Cognella Academic Press. Published, 07/01/2012.