- The Intersection of Video Games and Patient Empowerment: case study of a real world application. Craig Caldwell; Carol Bruggers; Roger Altizer; Greg Bulaj; Troy D'Ambrosio; Robert Kessler. IE'2013, September 30 - October 01 2013, Melbourne, VIC, Australia Copyright 2013 ACM 978-1-4503-2254-6/13/09 http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2513002.2513018. Article, Refereed Conference Proceedings, Published, 09/2013.
- Caldwell, C., Kessler, R., Altizer, R., Van Langeveld, M. (2012). When the games industry and academia collide: How we impact each other. IEEE Games Innovation Conference 2012, Sept. 2012. (Article, refereed, published conference proceedings) – Education track, presentation award.
- Bruggers, C., Altizer, R., Kessler, K., Caldwell, C., Coppersmith, K., Warner, L., Davies, B., Paterson, W., Wilcken, J., D’Ambrosio, T., German, M., Hanson, G., Gershan, L., Korenberg, J., Bulaj, G. (2012). Patient-Empowerment Interactive Technologies. Sci. Transl. Med. 4, 152 ps 16.
- Digital Visualization Tools Improve Teaching 3D Character Modeling, SIGCSE 2010, M. van Langeveld and R. Kessler, pp 82-86.
Professor Kessler has over 30 years of research and development in the areas of programming languages, systems, distributed/parallel systems, software engineering, and agents. His most recent efforts have been in the creation and running of the Entertainment Arts and Engineering program at the University of Utah. His latest research is in games for health. He has authored two books (one on Lisp and one on pair programming) and over fifty journal and conference publications. Professor Kessler has received over $6.5M in external research funding from government and industrial sources and $10M in equipment grants. He has founded two startup companies and has been on the board of directors of several others.
- Reynold's 63rd Annual Lecture. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 02/2014.
- "A History of Computing Course with a Technical Focus," SIGCSE 2009 (G. Draper, R. Kessler and R. Riesenfeld).
- "Two in the Middle: Digital Character Production and Machinima Courses," SIGCSE 2009 (M. van Langeveld and R. Kessler).
- "Entertainment Arts and Engineering(or How to Fast Track A New Interdisciplinary Program)," SIGCSE 2009 (R. Kessler, M. van Langeveld, and R. Altizer).
- "Educational Impact of Digital Visualization and Auditing Tools On a Digital Character Production Course," ICFDG 2009 (M. van Langeveld and R. Kessler).
- Digital Visualization Tools Improve Teaching 3D Character Modeling, SIGCSE 2010. M. van Langeveld and R. Kessler (has been accepted for 2010). Conference Paper, Refereed, Submitted, 2009.
- "The Xbox 360 and Entertainment Arts and Engineering", FDG 09 (R. Kessler and R. Altizer) [Rejected]. Conference Paper, Other, 12/23/2008.