Dr. Kim''s present research includes design of novel polymers for the delivery of protein drugs, cells and genes.
- Gene Therapy
- Drug Delivery Systems
- Thrombus formation on polymer surfaces
- Polymeric gene carriers
- Polymeric drug delivery systems
- Polymer surface modification
- Medical polymers
- Hydrogels and stimuli sensitive polymers
- Design of functional, bioactive and biospecific polymers for cells and gene delivery
- LTS Academy Meeting, "Designed Polymeric Systems for Nucleic Acids Delivery". Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 2008.
- Hypoxia inducible VEGF plasmid for ischemic disease (#7,638,322). Status: Issued. File date 02/23/2004; Issue date 12/29/2009. Assignee: University of Utah. Country: USA.
- Soluble steroidal peptides for nucleic acid delivery (#7,320,890). Status: Issued. File date 04/05/2005; Issue date 01/22/2008. Country: USA.
- Carrier system for specific artery wall gene delivery (#7,265,969). Status: Issued. File date 11/09/2001; Issue date 09/04/2007.
- Linear polyethylenimine-sterol conjugates for gene delivery (#7,183,263). Status: Issued. File date 07/17/2003; Issue date 02/27/2007.
- Biodegradable cationic copolymers of poly(alkylenimine) and poly(ethylene glycol) for the delivery of bioactive agents (#6,652,886). Status: Issued. File date 02/16/2001; Issue date 11/25/2003.
- Method for preparation of polyethylene glycol aldehyde derivatives (#6,465,694). Status: Issued. File date 06/04/2001; Issue date 12/15/2002.
- Synthesis of insulin derivatives (#6,323,311). Status: Issued. File date 09/22/1999; Issue date 11/27/2001.
- Polyester analogue of poly-L-lysine as a soluble, biodegradable gene delivery carrier (#6,217,912). Status: Issued. File date 01/13/1999; Issue date 04/17/2001.
- Targeting of PEG antibody conjugates to islet cells (#5,853,723). Status: Issued. File date 09/20/1996; Issue date 12/29/1998.
- Stabilization and oral delivery of calcitonin (#5,726,154). Status: Issued. File date 06/28/1996; Issue date 03/10/1998.
- Cationic polymer and lipoprotein-containing system or gene delivery (#5,679,559). Status: Issued. File date 07/03/1996; Issue date 10/21/1997.
- Colonic-targeted oral drug-dosage forms based on crosslinked hydrogels containing azobonds and exhibiting pH-dependent swelling (#5,415,864). Status: Issued. File date 08/20/1992; Issue date 05/16/1995.
- Implantable and refillable biohybrid artificial pancreas (#5,262,055). Status: Issued. File date 10/19/1992; Issue date 11/16/1993.
- Pulsatile drug delivery device using stimuli sensitive hydrogel (#5,226,902). Status: Issued. File date 07/30/1991; Issue date 07/13/1993.
- Transdermal delivery system utilizing one way membrane (#5,223,262). Status: Issued. File date 01/10/1990; Issue date 07/13/1993.
- Heterogeneous interpenetrating polymer networks for the controlled release of drugs (#4,931,287). Status: Issued. File date 06/14/1988; Issue date 06/05/1990.
- Amido-phenyl-.alpha.-D-glucopyranoside derivatives (#4,536,572). Status: Issued. File date 11/02/1983; Issue date 08/20/1985.
- Glycosylated insulin derivatives (#4,478,830). Status: Issued. File date 11/02/1983; Issue date 10/23/1984.
- Time-release chemical delivery system (#4,356,166). Status: Issued. File date 12/08/1978; Issue date 10/26/1982.
Dr. Kim has received numerous awards; among them are the Research Achievement Award-Pharmaceutical Sciences World Congress (2004), Rosenblatt Prize (2003), Ho-Am Prize (2003), AACP Volwiler Award (2002), American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) Dale Wurster Award (1998), the Controlled Release Society (CRS) Founders Award (1995), and the Clemson Basic Biomaterials Award (1987). These awards are the highest scientific awards from their respective societies. Dr. Kim has been elected into the National Academy of Medicine (1999), the National Academy of Engineering (2003) and the National Academy of Inventors (2012). He is the Founder and served as Co-Chairman of the International Symposium on Recent Advances in Drug Delivery, Salt Lake City, UT, 1983-2005.
- English, fluent.
- Mixtures of Poly(triethylenetetramine/cystamine bisacrylamide) and Poly(triethylenetetramine/cystamine bisacrylamide)-g-poly(ethylene glycol) for Improved Gene Delivery, J.Brumbach, C.Lin, J.Yockman, W.J.Kim, K.Blevins, J.Engbersen, J. Feijen, S.W.Kim. Published, 12/2010.
- A guanidinylated bioreducible polymer with high nuclear localization ability for gene delivery systems, T-i Kim, M Lee and SW Kim. Biomaterials, 31(7): 1798-804. Published, 03/31/2010.
- Polymer transfected primary myoblasts mediated efficient gene expression and angiogenic proliferation. M Ou, T-i Kim, JW Yockman, BA Borden, DA Bull, and SW Kim. J. Control. Rel., PubMed # 19818372. In press, 2010.
- Efficient siRNA Delivery with Non-viral Polymeric Vehicles. WJ Kim and SW Kim. Pharmaceutical Research, 26(3): 651-666. Published, 03/01/2009.
- Arginine-grafted Bioreducible Poly(disulfide amine) for Gene Delivery Systems, T-i Kim, M Ou, M Lee, and SW Kim. Biomaterials, 30(4): 658-664.
- Polymeric Gene Delivery of Ischemia-inducible VEGF Significantly Attenuates Infarct Size and Apoptosis Following Myocardial Infarct. JW Yockman, D Choi, MG Whitten, CW Chang, A Kastenmeier, H Erickson, A Albanil, M Lee, SW Kim and DA Bull. Gene Therapy, 16: 127-135. Published, 2009.
- VEGF siRNA Delivery System Using Arginine-Grafted Bioreducible Poly(disulfide amine), SH Kim, JH Jeong, T0i Kim, SW Kim and DA Bull. Mol. Pharm., 6(3): 718-726.
- A family of bioreducible poly(disulfide amine)s for gene delivery. M Ou, R Xu, SW Kim, DA Bull, and SW Kim. Biomaterials, 30(29): 5804-14. Published, 2009.
- Efficient Expression of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Using Minicircle DNA for Angiogenic Gene Therapy, C-W. Chang, L.V. Christensen, M. Lee, S.W. Kim, J. Control. Release, 125: 155 (2008). Published, 2008.