World EnglishesLocation: ONLN (Online)
Internship in Ling
- Online Language Learning and Research Network (OLLReN). 09/10/2018 - 09/30/2021. Position : Member.
- International Language Testing Association (ILTA). 03/31/2014 - 03/31/2021. Position : Member.
- The International Research Foundation (TIRF). 03/15/2004 - 03/31/2023. Position : Trustee/Chair, Research Advisory Committee.
- American Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL). 04/15/1979 - 04/30/2021. Position : Member.
- TESOL International Association. 03/15/1975 - 12/31/2019. Position : Member.
My interest in university-level teaching comes from my own positive experiences with professors as a graduate student and my general love of learning. Over the course of the last 20 years as a professor at the University of Utah, my approach to teaching has shifted from an emphasis on my own teaching, to a central focus on student learning, and finally to a realization that in many ways, the two foci are inseparable. Teaching and learning is similar to communication in general. It is a holistic process in which there is a co-construction of meaning between a teacher and the students. As I reflect on this basic belief about teaching, I have become aware that my mission as a teacher is threefold: to promote a positive learning environment, to spark learners’ enthusiasm for learning, and to provide a strong foundation for lifelong professional learning so that when my students’ formal education concludes, they will have the tools to continue learning for the rest of their lives. To accomplish this mission, I apply a wide variety of strategies in the classroom. The strategies that I use are based on essential educational principles related to cognitive functioning, learning theory, diversity issues, instructional planning, and assessments for learning.
- Understanding the impact of implementing the intercultural knowledge and competence value rubric in the TESOL Certificate Program. Project Lead: MaryAnn Christison . Collaborators: Karen Marsh, Amber Christensen, Melissa Mendelson, Vicky Wason. Dee Dee Grant 07/01/2020 - 06/30/2021. Total Budget: $3,356.00.
- Implementing Global Learning Outcomes in a TESOL Certificate Program. Project Lead: MaryAnn Christison. Collaborators: Scott Jarvis, Melissa Mendelson, Vicky Wason, Amber Christensen, Karen Marsh. Office of Global Engagement 07/01/2019 - 06/30/2020. Total Budget: $10,000.00.
- LING 3220 Developing a World Englishes Course On-line. Project Lead: MaryAnn Christison . TACC 02/2012 - 08/2012. Total Budget: $5,000.00.
- Academic Specialist Award for Chile. Project Lead: MaryAnn Christison . U.S. Department of State/U.S. Embassy 10/01/2011 - 10/31/2011.
- RELO II Programme for Training Teachers of English in Secondary Schools for South and Central Asia. Project Lead: MaryAnn Christison . Collaborators: U.S. Embassy in. U.S. Embassy Delhi and EFLU 01/18/2010 - 02/26/2010. Total Budget: $435,000.00.
- Developing Effective Teaching Practices with IUST, Damascus, Syria. Project Lead: MaryAnn Christison. International University of Science and Technology 10/15/2008 - 12/15/2010. Total Budget: $101,000.00.
- During this academic year, I have been working with UITE and have developed a series of professional development workshops for UITE faculty related to the development of teacher language awareness in our pre-service teachers. I have worked with my colleague Regina Pickett to develop a Canvas site for these resources. 09/24/2018 - 05/10/2019
- I mentor two PhD students from Educational Psychology in the area of second language literacy. We met weekly during Fall Semester 2019 and bi-monthly during Spring Semester 2019. During our time, we designed and carried out a study on literature circles, presented our research at the NRMERA in October 2018. I am currently mentoring them through the process of writing up the results of the research and getting it published. 08/20/2018 - 05/10/2019