Professor, Metallurgical Engineering
Adjunct Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
- North American Extractive Metallurgy Council.
TMS appointed member.
03/01/2020 - 03/01/2022
- REMADE Institute.
Strategic Advisory Committee Member.
06/30/2018 - 03/25/2019
EPD Senior Advisor.
07/01/2017 - 03/30/2021
Head Organizer, Hydrometallurgy 2018 International Symposium.
09/01/2016 - 08/31/2018
2017 Ramana Reddy International Symposium.
02/15/2016 - 03/15/2017
Electrometallurgy 2016 Symposium.
02/16/2015 - 09/22/2016
Programming Representative (Extraction and Processing Division).
03/2011 - 03/2014
Co-Organizer, T. T. Chen Symposium.
03/2011 - 03/2012
Education and Publications Committee Member.
02/2010 - 02/2013
Chair, Taggart Award Committee .
01/01/2010 - 01/01/2011
Chair, Taggart Award Committee.
01/01/2010 - 01/01/2010
Member, Public Affairs Committee.
01/01/2008 - 12/31/2011
- Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials.
Ediorial Board Member.
01/01/2005 - 12/31/2011
Honors & Awards
- EPD Distinguished Service Award.
- University of Utah Career Services Faculty Recognition Award.
University of Utah,
- Gaosong Yi, a member of Michael L. Free's research group, was awarded a 2017 NACE Graduate Student Book Award
- Joshua Werner, a member of Michael L. Free's research group, was selected as a Henry Krumb Lecturer for 2017.
- Keynote Speaker – Electrometallurgy 2016 International Conference.
- Joshua Werner, a member of Michael L. Free's research group, received an SME Graduate Fellowship (the only one in his area of research).
- Yakun Zhu, a member of Michael L. Free's research group, was awarded 2015 NACE Graduate Student Book Award.
- Keynote Speaker.
International Society of Electrochemistry,
- Top 20 paper download Physica Status Solidi B 2011.
Physica Status Solidi B (Journal),
- Keynote Speaker.
Fray International Symposium,
- Chair, Faculty Relations Committee.
09/01/2013 - 08/31/2014.
- Salaries and Annuities Committee Member.
07/2011 - 07/2012.
- Undergraduate Student Advisor.
07/01/1997 - 07/01/2012.
- Multiple sessions of orientation events, Science Day, Major Day, Department Open House, and other campus events.
01/2010 - 12/2010