Associate Professor, World Languages and Cultures
- Roundtable Discussion, Siberia Workshop, Feb. 6-7, 2017.
- Greenhouses in Outer Space: the Portable Utopias of Soviet Rocket Scientist Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Conference of The Society for Utopian Studies, October 27-29.
- Nov. 2015 “Soviet Futurama: Energy Flow at the 1939 World’s Fair in New York,” Utopian Studies Conference, Pittsburgh.
- Oct. 2014 Panel: Totalitarianisms, Paper title: “Luminous Rays: Soviet Godbuilding & Psychic Energy.” Utopian Studies Conference, Montreal,Canada
- Oct. 2014 Panel: Leaky Cities, Paper Title: "Powering the Soviet City-Machine: Biomechanics and the Fluidity of Human Energy." .
- March 2014 "Brain Rays & Early Soviet Propaganda," Science & Literature Symposium, University of Utah.
- "Evgeny Zamyatin & the Thermodynamics of Genius," Wisconsin AATSEEL.
- Nov. 2012 “Story about the Most Important Thing: Evgeny Zamyatin and the
Thermodynamics of Revolution, Panel: Science Fiction I: Science & Science Fiction, ASEEES National Conference, New Orleans
- Nov 2012 “Category Crisis & the Soviet Monster,” Monster Colloquium, University of Utah.
- July 2012 “Energy Monsters & the Soviet Social Network: Ivan Efremov’s Andromeda Nebula,” Panel on Soviet Science Fiction, SFRA National Conference, Detroit
- Dec 2012 “Cult of Energy: Electrification and the Lenin Cult,” Work in Progress Talk, Tanner Humanities Center, Dec. 6
- “The Alien Returns: Aleksei Tolstoi’s Aelita, or the Decline of Mars.” Panel on Soviet Science Fiction, National Conference of ASEEES
- "Unmasking the Beastly Pseudo-speaker: Vladimir Maiakovskii's Bedbug," Presented at Western Social Science Association Annual Conference, Salt Lake City.
- Round-table: "The Soviet Unconscious," AAASS (American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies), November, 2010.
- Two Heads are Better than One: Rewriting Beliaev’s Head of Professor Dowell,” Science Fiction Research Association National Conference, Carefree, Arizona
- “Two Heads are Better than One: Language and Control in Beliaev’s Head of Professor Dowell on panel “The Fantastic in Russian Literature,” National Conference of AAASS, New Orleans, November, 2007.
- “Disorganizing the Human Psyche: Literature and Transformation in Bogdanov’s Red Star and Zamiatin’s We,” on the panel “The New Soviet Man in a New Soviet World,” National Conference of the AATSEEL (American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages), Philadelphia, December 2007.
Geographical Regions of Interest
- Toxic Voices: the Soviet Villain from Early Soviet Literature to Socialist Realism (Northwestern University Press, 2013).
- ARTICLE: “An Electrician’s Utopia: Mikhail Bulgakov’s ‘Fateful Eggs,” Slavic and East European Jounal, 56.1 (2012): 56-70.
- ARTICLE: “‘A New Enigmatic Language’: The Spontaneity-Consciousness Paradigm and the Case of Gladkov’s Cement. Slavic Review 65, no.1 (Spring 2006): 66-89.
- ARTICLE: “No Bad Words Allowed: Language and Control in Mikhail Bulgakov’s Heart of a Dog,” Slavic and East European Journal, 53.3 (Fall 2007): 492-514.
- Book Review: Freidin, Gregory, ed. Translated by Peter Constantine. Isaac Babel’s Selected Writings. For Russian Review, Fall 2010.
- BOOK REVIEW: Olga Matich, Erotic Utopia: The Decadent Imagination in Russia de Siecle (University of Wisconsin Press, 340 pp.). for Russian Review, Spring 2006.
- Featured Review: Petre M. Petrov Automatic for the Masses: The Death of the Author and the Birth of Socialist Realism. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2015. In Slavic Review.
- Howell, Yvonne, ed. Red Star Tales: A Century of Russian and Soviet Science Fiction. Montpelier, VT: Russian Life Books, 2015. In Russian Review.
- Book Review of Maguire, Muireann. Stalin’s Ghosts: Gothic Themes in Early Soviet Literature. Russian Transformations: Literature, Thought, Culture, Volume 4. Bern: Peter Lang, 2012. in Russian Review (October 2013).
- Book Review: Vatalescu, Christine, Police Aesthetics: Literature, Film and the Secret Police in Soviet Times. For Slavic and East European Journal, 56.3 (Fall 2012):458-60.