My research focuses on the social and intellectual history of postwar Japan. I am also interested in Japan's relations with Korea and other Asian countries due to its colonial legacies. I have further interests in Asian American studies with regard to migration and diaspora issues.
- Social and Intellectual History, Modern
- Asia, East (Far East)
- “Never the twain shall meet? — Rethinking Eastern and Western Religions” (lecture) A Dialogue between Eastern and Western Spiritualities (Part of Books & Bridges series), Weller Book Store, . Presentation, Presented, 05/09/2019.
- Student Affairs Diversity Council Speaker Series, University of Utah. "The Impact of Japanese American Incarceration: Memory, Trauma & The Problem of 'Remembering' History" . Presentation, Presented, 01/24/2018.
- "Order and Disorder: Critical Reflection on Japanese Studies" Conference, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY [invited] - "In Praise of Disorder: Photography, Subjectivity, and 'Chaos'" . Conference Paper, Presented, 10/28/2017.
- Western Conference for the Association of Asian Studies annual conference, Panel 10 [J]: “Activism and Migration in Contemporary Japan” Paper: “Photography in the Performance of Protest – Japan 1968” . Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 10/09/2015.
- Executive MBA Class Panel Presentation: Cultural Contexts for Doing Business in Japan [invited] . Presentation, Presented, 04/11/2014.
- Fulbright Forum Panel Discussion, Program information and experiences. Presentation, Presented, 04/01/2014.
- Association for Asian Studies 2014 Conference, Panel 249 ("Navigating Politics in Post-3.11 Japan"), Paper - "Friday Night Lights: Reflections on Current Social Movements.". Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 03/29/2014.
- Western Conference Association for Asian Studies 2013 annual conference, Ogden, UT; Panel #8, Paper "Haunted Memories and Cold War Re-enactments" . Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 09/27/2013.
- "The Cold War in Asia" Conference, University of Chicago; Paper presenter, "Haunted Memories, Social Movements and Cold War Ghosts." Panel moderator for "The Intersection of State and Society"; Roundtable Discussant.
- "Constructing Health in Japan" Conference and Workshop, University of Utah; Co-organizer and workshop moderator. Other, Other, 04/18/2013.
- Association for Asian Studies 2013 Conference, Panel #255 paper "The '70s and '80s Legacy of Creative Synapses and Political Rhizomes" . Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 03/23/2013.
- University of Utah, History Department Conference Panel (#10) moderator and commentator. Other, Presented, 04/13/2012.
- Association for Asian Studies 2012 conference panel chair and discussant (Session 265: Atoms for Peace and War: The Role of Science and Scientists in Japan's Nuclear Past). Other, Presented, 03/17/2012.
- Phi Alpha Theta Utah Regional conference panel chair and commentator ("Struggles in the 20th Century American West). Other, Presented, 04/12/2011.
- Association for Asian Studies 2011 conference panel discussant (Session 31: Reconstituting the Social Body: Popular Conservatism in Occupied and Post-Occupation Japan). Other, Presented, 03/30/2011.
- “Counter-culture Coffee Shops and the Construction of Masculinity in Late 1960s Japan” Panel 115 – Masculinity, Nation and Urban Space in Japanese Literature and Visual Media, 1967-2007 Association for Asian Studies (AAS), Atlanta, GA . Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 04/05/2008.
- AAS NEAC Japan Conference Grant. PI: Wesley Sasaki-Uemura. Association for Asian Studies, Northeast Asia Council, 11/12/2012 - present. Total project budget to date: $5,000.00
- Japanese, fluent.
- Eastern Asia
- Japanese Studies (36:3, 2016), 403-404. Review of The Revolution Will Not Be Televised by Noriko Manabe. Published, 12/2016.
- Journal of Japanese Studies. (38:2) pp. 390-394. Review of _The Subversive Activities Prevention Law of Japan: Its Creation 1951-52_ by Cecil H. Uyehara. Published, 06/2012.
- Social History (37:1) pp. 84-86. Review of _Making Japanese Citizens: Civil Society and the Mythology of the Shimin in Postwar Japan by Simon Avenell. Published, 02/12/2012.
- Asian Anthropology (vol. 8, pp. 147-50) / Review of Science for Empire: Scientific Nationalism in Modern Japan by Hiromi Mizuno. Published, 2009.
- “A Rectification of Names: Response to Simon Avenell,” positions: east asia cultures critique 16:3 (Winter 2008) 761-8. Published, 2008.