Chair Department of Material Science & Engineering,
Materials Science and Engineering,
University of Utah
Materials Science and Engineering,
University of Utah
- A yttria-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) tube with platinum electrodes was used for the measurement of potential with one electrode exposed to air and the other to H2-H2O mixture. Measurements were conducted using an electrometer with input impedance >200 TOhms and a meter with 10 GOhm impedance.
- A parametric equation decsribing polarization in solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC) in terms of experimentally measureable parameters is presented. The equation explicitly describes activation and concentration polarizations at the two electrodes and the ohmic resistance in terms of measureable parameters.
- A new technique is presented for the measurement of ionic and electronic conductivities in predominantloxygne ion conducting materils suc as 8YSZ. Ths is achievedby embdding probes.
- High temperature solid oxide cells can be used as fuel cells (SOFC) for power generation and as elecrtolyzer cells (SOEC) for hydrogen production. In this manuscript, reversible cells using mixed ionic electronic conducting solid electrolytes are explored.
- J. H. Koh, N. Weber, and A. V. Virkar, 'Synthesis of lithium-beta-alumina by various ion-exchange and conversion processes, Solid State Ioncis, 220 32-38 (2012).
- G. J. Nelson, K. N. Grew, J. R. Izo, J. J. Lombardo, W. H. Harris, A. Faes, A. H. Wyser, J. V. Herle, S. Wang, Y. S. Chu, A. V. Virkar and W. K. S. Chiu, 'Three-dimensional microstructural changes in the Ni-YSZ solid oxide fuel cell anode during operation', Acta Materialia, 60 (8) 3491-3500 (2012).
- A. V. Virkar, 'Trasnsport through mixed proton, oxygen ion and electron/hole conductors: Analysis of fuel cells and electrolyzer cells using Onsager equations', Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy, 37 (17) 12609-12628 (2012).
- H. Ding, A. V. Virkar, and F. Liu, 'Defect configuration and phase stability of cubic versus tetragonal yttria-stabilized zirconia', Solid State Ionics, 215 16-23 (2012).
- Transport properties of mixed ionic and electronic conductors under thermodynamically equilibrated conditions: Measurements on porous bodies, Anil V. Virkar and Jame Wright, Symposium on Mixed Ionic Electronic Conductors, Electrochemical Society, Seattle, May 2012.
- G.J. Nelson, K. N. Grew, J. R. Izzo, J. J. Lombardo, W. M. Harris, A. J. Cocco, A. Faes, A. Hessler-Wyser, J. Van herle, Y. S. Chu, S. Wang, A. V. Virkar, and W. K. S. Chiu, Three Dimensional microstructural changes in the Ni-YSZ solid oxide fuel cell anode during operation, Acta Materialia.
In press, 02/10/2012.
- W. K. S. Chiu, A. V. Virkar, F. Zhao, G. J. Nelson, F. Rabbi and Q. Liu, 'Heterofoams: Electrode modeling in nanostructured heterogeneous materials in energy systems', Journal of Fuel cell Science & Technology, Transactinos of the ASME, 9 011019-01--011019-06 (2012).
- W. K. S. Chiu, A. V. Virkar, F. Zhao, K. L. Reifsnider, G. J. Nelson, F. Rabbi, and Q. Liu, HeteroFoams: Electrode modeling in nano-structured heterogeneous materials for energy systems, ASME Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, 9 011019-1-011019-6 (2012).
- Effect of stress on dissolution/precipitation of platinum: Implications concerning core-shell catalysts and cathode degradation in proton exchange membrane fuel cells, Preethy Parthasarathy and Anil V. Virkar, J. Power Sources, 196 9204-9212 (2011).
- Conductivity of porous Sm2O3-doped CeO2 as a function of temperature and oxygen partial pressure, J. Power Sources, 196 6118-6124 (2011).
- A Model for Degradation of Electrochemical Devices based on Linear Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics and its Application to Lithium Ion Batteries, A. V. Virkar, J. Power Sources 196 5970-5984 (2011).
In press, 03/01/2011.
- Carbon Monoxide Fueled Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, M. Homel, T. M. Gur, and A. V. Virkar, J. Power Sources, 195 6367-6372 (2010).
- Mechanism of Oxygen Electrode Delamination in Solid Oxide Electrolyzer Cells, A. V. Virkar, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 35 9527-9543 (2010).
- Effect of morphology and space charge on conduction through doped porous ceria, F. Zhao and A. V. Virkar
J. Power Sources, 195 6268-6279 (2010).
- Electrochemical coarsening of copper powder in aqueous media, P. Parthasarathy and A. V. Virkar
J. Electrochem. Soc., 157 (5) B768-B775 (2010).
- A simple analysis of current collection in tubular solid oxide fuel cells, A. V. Virkar, F. F. Lange, and M. A. Homel, J. Power Sources, 195 4816-4825 (2010).
- High Performance Solid Oxide Fuel Cell operating on Dry Gasified Coal, T. M. Gur, M. A. Homel, A. V. Virkar, J. Power Sources, 195 1085-1090 (2010).
- High performance solid oxide fuel cell operating on gasified coal, T. M. Gur, M. A. Homel, and A. V. Virkar
J. Power Sources 195 1085-1090 (2010).
- Electrochemical degradation of fuel cells: efefct of electrolyte composition, H-T. Lim and A. V. Virkar
SOFC XI-2009 p.447-456
- Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy of proton exchange membrane fuel cells using embedded probes, R. Abbaraju, N. Dasgupta, and A. V. Virkar
PEMFC9 25(1) 961-970 (2009)
- The tetragonal-monoclinic transformation in zirconia: Lessons learned and future trends, J. Chevalier, L. Gremillard, A. V. Virkar, and D. R. Clarke,
J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 92  1901-1920 (2009).
- Transport through mixed proton, oxygen ion and electron (hole) conductors: Goldman-Hodgkin-Katz type equation
A. V. Virkar
J. Power Sources 194 753-762 (2009).
- Bimetallic (Fe-Ni) anode-supported solid oxide fuel cells with gadolinia-doped ceria electrolyte, H. C. Park and A. V. Virkar
J. Power Sources, 186 133-137 (2009).
- Measurement of oxygen chemical potential in Gd2O3-doped ceria-Y2O3-stabilized zirconia- bi-layer electrolyte, anode-supported solid oxide fuel cells, H-T. Lim and A. V. Virkar
J. Power Sourcesd, 192 267-278 (2009).