I study the health benefits of physical activity and exercise, with a particular interest in women's health.
- Physical activity assessment
- Physical activity and women's health
- Physical activity and primary care
- Pelvic floor disorders
- Exercise adherence
- Pelvic floor health and rehabilitation in pregnancy and post birth” tutorial lecture presentation for the national meeting of the 2020 American College of Sports Medicine, with Dr. Kari BØ. Cancelled due to COVID-19. Presentation, Accepted, 08/23/2019.
- “Intra-abdominal Pressure and Daily Living: How a Simple Measurement can Provide Insight into Physical Behavior and Health” Chair of workshop presented at the International Conference on Ambulatory Monitoring of Physical Activity and Movement, June 25, 2019, Maastricht, Netherlands. Co-presenters: Monika Leitner & Robert Hitchcock. Presentation, Presented, 06/25/2019.
- “Physical Activity and Pelvic Floor Health,” invited presentation given at the Northwest Chapter meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine, Bend, OR. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 02/24/2018.
- Physical Activity and Stress Urinary Incontinence: Why Do We Know So Little? Presentation given within the “Exercise, Women and Aging” Symposium at the Southwest Chapter meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine, November 9, 2007. I organized and presided over the Symposium. Presentation, Accepted, 09/2007.
- English, fluent.
- Sheng X & Wang J (2022). Pelvic Floor Support and Symptoms 1 Year Postpartum in Relation to Excess Body Habitus Before, During and After First Vaginal Birth. Female pelvic medicine & reconstructive surgery. Vol. 28, 273279273-279. Published, 05/01/2022.
- Shaw JM, Zhou J & Hitchcock R (2022). Relative and Maximal Intra-abdominal Pressure and Postpartum Pelvic Floor Outcomes in Primiparas Delivered Vaginally. Female pelvic medicine & reconstructive surgery. Vol. 28, 9610396-103. Published, 02/01/2022.
- Wolpern AE, Bardsley T, Brusseau TA, Byun W, Egger fMJ, Nygaard IE, Wu J & Shaw JM (2021). Physical activity in the early postpartum period in primiparous women. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. Vol. 24, 1149-1154. Published, 10/01/2021.
- Nygaard IE, Bardsley T, Sheng X, Murtaugh MA & Shaw JM (2021). Habitus and pelvic floor symptoms and support 1 year postpartum. Obstetrics and Gynecology. Vol. 137, 821-830. Published, 05/01/2021.
- Nygaard IE, Wolpern A, Bardsley T, Egger MJ & Shaw JM (2021). Early postpartum physical activity and pelvic floor support and symptoms 1 year postpartum. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. Vol. 224, 193.e1-193.e19. Published, 02/01/2021.
- Hitchcock R, Shaw JM, Niederauer S, Zhou J, Sheng X, Yang M & Nygaard IE (2021). Association Between Measures of Trunk Recovery 5 to 10 Weeks Postpartum and Pelvic Floor Support and Symptoms 1 Year Postpartum in Primiparas Delivered Vaginally. Female pelvic medicine & reconstructive surgery. Vol. 27, e427-e435. Published, 02/01/2021.
- Frost CJ, Shaw J, O’Toole K, Metos J, Brusseau Jr. T, Moric E, Gren LH. (2020). Title IX and Its Impact After 40 Years: Understanding Physical Activity Perspectives of Adolescent Girls. Utah Women’s Health Review. doi: 10.26054/0DGHPHTNEG. Published, 01/01/2021.
- Nygaard IE, Shaw JM, Wang J, Sheng X, Yang M, Niederauer S & Hitchcock R (2021). Do Measures of Muscular Fitness Modify the Effect of Intra-abdominal Pressure on Pelvic Floor Support in Postpartum Women?. Female pelvic medicine & reconstructive surgery. Vol. 27, e267-e276. Published, 01/01/2021.
- Wolpern AE, de Gennaro JK, Hitchcock RW, Nygaard IE, Egger MJ, Sheng X, Brusseau T, Byun W & Shaw JM (2020). Relationship of heart rate, perceived exertion, and intra-abdominal pressure in women. Journal of Clinical Exercise Physiology. Vol. 9, 97-103. Published, 09/01/2020.
- Dietze-Hermosa M, Hitchcock R, Nygaard IE & Shaw JM (2020). Intra-abdominal pressure and pelvic floor health: Should we be thinking about this relationship differently? . Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery. Vol. 26, 409-414. Published, 07/01/2020.
- Saltzman HM, Egger MJ, Bardsley T, Ding Q, Shaw JM & Nygaard IE (2020). Differences in Pelvic Floor Symptoms During Pregnancy Between Hispanic and Non-Hispanic White Women. Female pelvic medicine & reconstructive surgery. Vol. 26, 37-43. Published, 01/01/2020.
- de Gennaro, J., de Gennaro, C., Shaw, J.M., Petelenz, T., Nygaard, I. & Hitchcock, R. (2019). The relationship between intra-abdominal pressure and body acceleration during exercise. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. Vol. 25, 231-237. Published, 05/01/2019.
- Shaw, J.M. (2018). Exercise, sport and the pelvic floor. Vol. 13. International Urogynecological Association Newsletter. Published, 03/13/2018.
- Wolpern, A.E., Sherwin, K.J., Moss, W.D., Nygaard, I.E., Egger, M.J., Brusseau, T.A. & Shaw, J.M. (2017). Wrist-worn accelerometry usage in primiparous early postpartum women. (pp. S829). Vol. 49. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. Published, 05/01/2017.
- Nygaard IE, Clark E, Clark L, Egger MJ, Hitchcock R, Hsu Y, Norton P, Sanchez-Birkhead A, Shaw J, Sheng X, Varner M. Physical and cultural determinants of postpartum pelvic floor support and symptoms following vaginal delivery: a protocol for a mixed-methods prospective cohort study. BMJ Open. 2017 Jan 10;7(1):e014252. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-014252. Published, 01/2017.
- Middlekauff ML, Egger MJ, Nygaard IE, Shaw JM. The impact of acute and chronic strenuous exercise on pelvic floor muscle strength and support in nulliparous healthy women. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2016; 215(3):316.e1-7. Published, 09/2016.
- Ball, TJ, Joy, EA, Gren, LH, Cunningham, R, Shaw, JM. Predictive Validity of an Adult Physical Activity “Vital Sign” Recorded in Electronic Health Records. J Phys Act Health. 2016 13(4):403-8. Published, 04/2016.
- Coleman TJ, Hamad NM, Shaw JM, Egger MJ, Hsu Y, Hitchcock R, Jin H, Choi CK, Nygaard IE. Effects of walking speeds and carrying techniques on intra-abdominal pressure in women. Int Urogynecol J. 2015 Jul;26(7):967-74. Published, 07/2015.
- Nygaard IE, Shaw JM, Bardsley T, Egger MJ. Lifetime physical activity and female stress urinary incontinence. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Jul;213(1):40.e1-40.e10. Published, 07/2015.
- Joy, E.A., Ball, T., Shaw, J.M. Development and implementation of the Physical Activity Vital Sign (PAVS), in R.R. Pate & D.M. Buchner (Eds.) Implementing Physical Activity Strategies, pp. 131 – 136. Human Kinetics, 2014. Published, 05/2014.
- Frost, C.J., Murphy, P.A., Shaw, J.M., Jones, K.P., Varner, M., Mihalopoulos, N., Lake, E., Patrick, S., Johnston, L., & Digre, K.B. Reframing the View of Women's Health in the United States: Ideas from a Multidisciplinary National Center of Excellence in Women's Health Demonstration Project. Clinics in Mother and Child Health 11: 156. doi:10.4172/2090-7214.1000156. Published, 01/2014.
- Nygaard IE, Shaw JM, Bardsley T, Egger MJ. Lifetime physical activity and pelvic organ prolapse in middle-aged women. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014, 210(5) 477.e1-12. Published, 01/2014.
- Shaw JM, Hamad N, Coleman T, Egger MJ, Hsu Y, Hitchcock R, Nygaard IE. Intra-abdominal pressures during activity in women using an intra-vaginal pressure transducer. Journal of Sports Sciences. 32:1176-85, 2014. Published, 01/2014.
- Goh TL, Ball T, Shaw JM, Hannon JC. Physical activity and dietary behaviors of health clinic workers trying to lose weight. Health. 4:493-499, 2012.
- Nygaard I., Shaw J., Egger M. Exploring the association between lifetime physical activity and pelvic floor disorders: study and design challenges. Contemporary Clinical Trials Jul;33(4):819-27. PMID: 22521947. Published, 07/01/2012.
- Hsu Y, Coleman TJ, Hitchcock RW, Heintz K, Shaw JM, Nygaard IE. Clinical evaluation of a wireless intra-vaginal pressure transducer. Int Urogynecol J. 23:1741-7, 2012. Published, 05/23/2012.
- Greenwood JLJ, Lin J, Arguello D, Ball T, Shaw JM. Healthy eating vital sign: A new assessment tool for eating behaviors. ISRN Obesity. 2012. Article ID 734682, 7 pages. doi: 10.5402/2012/734682. Published, 05/15/2012.