I am interested broadly in medieval literature and in medieval strategies of representation, in particular, allegory. I focus mainly on French medieval literature and have written on twelfth-, thirteenth-, and fourteenth-century authors: Marie de France, Guillaume de Lorris and Rutebeuf, Guillaume de Machaut. I am also interested in visual representation from the Middle Ages and have worked on manuscript illuminations as well as some sculpture.
- Intervention de la Vierge/Participation du pénitent.
- “Image, sequence, narrative: the marks and signs of identity in the illuminated manuscripts of the Theophilus legend” International Congress on Medieval Studies, International Association of Word and Image Society, (Kalamazoo, MI, May 2017). Conference Paper, Presented, 05/12/2017.
- Portal to Paradise: Word and Image in Medieval Identity Talk given for H2 Research Professorship, fall session . Invited Talk/Keynote, Accepted, 08/01/2016.
- The Romance of the Rose: Textual Questions, Visual Solutions. Invited Talk/Keynote, Other, 11/20/2015.
- “Theorizing the double vision of the Theophilus legend” International Congress on Medieval studies, International Association of Word and Image Society, (Kalamazoo, MI, May 2013). Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 05/08/2013.
- “In our image and likeness: imago, identity, and the Theophilus legend” Invited lecture Brigham Young University Medieval and Renaissance Society (Provo, Ut, August 2012). Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 08/01/2012.
- “The Theophilus Legend: Visualizing Salvation” International Congress on Medieval Studies (Kalamazoo, MI, May 2012) . Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 05/10/2012.
- Jerry Root (2019). “Une approche sérielle” to the Theophilus sequence of illuminations in Besançon 551,. Word & Image. Vol. 352, 172-190.
- Jerry Root (2017). The Legend of Theophilus in Medieval Text and Image. . (pp. 287). Cambridge: D. S. Brewer, 2017..
- “Marvelous Crystals, Perilous Mirrors: Le Roman De La Rose and The Discontinuity of the Romance Subject.” Romanic Review. Forthcoming. Accepted, 11/15/2011.
- "’Mustrer’ and the Poetics of Marie de France.” Modern Philology (2010): 151-76. Published, 01/15/2010.
- “A Precarious Quest for Salvation: The Theophilus Legend in Text and Image.” Medievalia et Humanistica 34 (2008): 43-69. Published, 11/2008.