Distinguished Professor, Metallurgical Engineering
Ivor D. Thomas Professor (Endowed Chair), Metallurgical Engineering
- American Chemical Society.
Review of proposal submitted for Petroleum Research Funding.
04/2019 - 04/2019
- International Society for Industrial Process Tomography (ISIPT).
Review of 2 papers submitted for presentation at ISIPT World Congress.
06/2018 - 06/2018
- University of Utah.
Seed Grant Proposal.
05/2017 - 05/2017
- Canadian Centre for Clean Coal/Carbon & Mineral Processing Technologies.
Review of a proposal submitted to the centre.
12/2016 - 12/2016
- University of Utah.
Review of a Seed Grant proposal.
11/2016 - 11/2016
- International Mineral Processing Congress (IMPC).
Review of 5 papers submitted for presentation at IMPC 2016, September 2016, Quebec City, Canada.
02/2016 - 04/2016
- Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Role: Invited Member of Assessment Review Committee.
Institute of Process Engineering (IPE), Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, PR China.
10/25/2014 - 10/30/2014
Honors & Awards
- Chinese Government Friendship Award, Beijing, China.
- Outstanding US-China Friendship Professional Award, presented in SLC, UT, at the Chinese 150th Anniversary of the Golden Spike Celebration.
Chinese Association for Science and Technology in Utah (CAST-UT),
- The award, presented by President Xi Jinping at a special ceremony in the Great Hall, was in recognition for Miller's cooperation in education and research with Chinese universities and research institutions on the processing of energy and mineral resources.
P.R. China International Science and Technology Cooperation Award,
- Lifetime Achievement Award.
International Mineral Processing Congress (XXIX IMPC) 2018,
- Foreign Experts Friendship Award.
Yunnan Foreign Experts Administration, Kunming,Yunnan, China,
- Faculty Recognition Award for contributions to students' career development and exploration.
University of Utah Career Services,
- Taggart Best Paper Award for the paper, "Opportunities for Plant-site 3D Coarse Particle Characterization with Automated High-Speed X-ray Tomography," J.D. Miller and C.L. Lin.
- Surface Innovations Prize - recognition for best paper in journal in 2015 ("Molecular Features of Water Films Created with Bubbles at Silica Surfaces," X. Wang, X. Yin, J. Nalaskowski, H. Du, J.D. Miller).
Institution of Civil Engineers,
- Rosenblatt Prize for Excellence, University of Utah’s most prestigious award presented annually to a faculty member who displays excellence in teaching, research and administrative efforts, 2015.
University of Utah,
- 2014 NAI Fellow - Induction at the 4th Annual Conference of the National Academy of Inventors, Pasadena, CA, March 2015.
National Academy of Inventors,
- Milton E. Wadsworth 2012 Award presented at SME Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado.
- Honorary Professor Appointment.
Qinghai University, School of Chemical Engineering, Qinghai Province,
- X-ray Micro CT for 3D Characterization, Analysis and Simulation of Multiphase Systems, John & Virginia Towers Distinguished Lecture.
Materials Science and Engineering Dept, Michigan Technological University,
In the Media
- The next generation of mineral processing engineers is exemplified by Professor Miller's young student, Mahi Saurabh, being introduced to the air-sparged hydrocyclone (ASH). Mahi's parents, Amrita Mahapatra (MS 2008) and Swadhin Saurabh (MS 2007) received their MS degrees in Metallurgical Engineering from the University of Utah. 02/2019.
- Video clip from ceremony surrounding Professor Miller's receipt of PR China International Science and Technology Cooperation Award in the Great Hall, Beijing, China. PR China Vice Premier, He LIU, presented the medals. 01/2019.
- Photos from the ceremonies surrounding Professor Miller's receipt of the PR China International Science and Technology Cooperation Award. First photo is of Professor Miller receiving his medal from China's President Jinping Xi in the Great Hall, Beijing, China. Remaining photos are of subsequent celebration events at Shanxi University, Shanxi, PR China. 01/2019.