Professor, College Of Nursing
Adjunct Professor, Health and Kinesiology
Professor Emeritus, College Of Nursing
Robert L. & Joyce T. Rice Presidential Endowed Chair in Healthy Aging
- International Association of Gerontology & Geriatrics.
Abstract reviewer for World Congress.
03/2017 - 03/2017
- Research on Aging.
05/2014 - 05/2014
- Soclal Sciences & Humanities Research Council - Canada (Federal Agency).
Ad Hoc Reviewer for Insight Grants Program.
02/2014 - 02/2014
- LGBT Health.
01/2014 - 05/2014
- Aging and Mental Heatlh.
Editorial Board Member.
07/2013 - present
- Anxiety, Stress, and Coping.
03/2012 - present
- Developmental Psychology.
08/2011 - present
- Dunhill Medical Trust, London, UK.
Ad Hoc External Reviewer, Grants and Research Committee.
06/2010 - 07/2010
- Aging and Mental Health.
03/2010 - present
- Journal of Applied Gerontology.
07/2006 - 06/2009
- International Journal of Aging and Human Development.
01/2001 - present
- Omega Journal of Death and Dying.
01/1997 - present
- The Gerontologist.
08/1994 - present
- Death Studies.
01/1994 - 11/2020
- Academic Senate.
08/2018 - 06/2021.
- Executive Committee, Consortium for Families and Health Research (C-FAHR).
08/2017 - present.
- RPT Oversight.
08/2016 - 06/2018.
- Credits and Admissions Committee.
08/2013 - 06/2020.
- Tenure Track Faculty Search Committee.
08/2011 - 06/2012.
- Mentor for Corinna Trujillo (2nd Hartford PhD Cohort).
08/2010 - 08/2019.
- Research Committee.
Chair - 2011- 2012,
07/2010 - 06/2012.
- Gerontology Program Advisory Committee.
08/2009 - present.
- RPT Oversight Committee.
Chair, 2009 -2010,
07/2008 - 06/2010.
- Utah Coalition for Caregiver Support.
08/2017 - present
- Participant - Virtual Global Forum on Aging and Health sponsored by the Alliance for Healthy and Active Ageing.
10/01/2010 - 10/12/2010
Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Teaching Award.
College of Nursing, University of Utah,
- Faculty Award – “For distinguished and exemplary service to students with disabilities”.
Center for Disability Services – University of Utah,
- 2013 Pioneer Award.
Utah Aging Alliance,
- Top 100 Nursing Professors in 2012. www.bsntomsn.org/nursing-professors/.
- Honorable Mention, Archstone Foundation Award for Excellence in Program Innovation (For Pathfinders Demonstration Project).
Gerontological Health Section - American Public Health Association,
Gerontological Society of America,
- Excellence in Research Award.
College of Nursing - University of Utah,
- Outstanding Alumnus Award.
Dept. of Health Promotion & Education - University of Utah,
- National Honor Society in Gerontology.
Sigma Phi Omega,
Alliance for Healthy Active Ageing
2010 - present
Association for Death Education and Counseling
1993 - present
American Association for Health Education
1992 - present
Gerontological Society of America
1985 - present
American Society on Aging
1984 - present
In the Media
- Quoted in NY Times article about some of the unique experiences of grief when experienced by men who lose a spouse or partner. 07/25/2011.
- I was quoted in the Washington Post in an article about how older adults adapt to loss. I particularly spoke about how bereaved individuals adapt over time and arrive at a level of functioning. 08/10/2010.
- Article in Salt Lake Tribune regarding my appointment to the Rice Endowed Chair in which I was interviewed about my perspective on Healthy Aging. 03/15/2010.