I am interested in the theory of the structure of language, at linguistic, psychological, and anatomical levels of abstraction.
- E. Rubin & A. Kaplan. Segmental and Prosodic Influences on Bolognese Epenthesis. Epenthesis and Beyond, Stony Brook University.
- E. Rubin & A. Kaplan. Lexical Selection in Bolognese Clitic Allomorphy. Going Romance 35, University of Amsterdam. Conference Paper, Accepted, 09/15/2021.
- Partitive Clitics with Bolognese Unergative Verbs. Going Romance 35, University of Amsterdam. Conference Paper, Accepted, 09/15/2021.
- Agree, Expletives, and Person Restrictions in Bolognese. Linguistic Symposium on Romance Languages 51, UIUC.
- PCC Effects with Expletives and Non-Associate Post-Verbal Subjects in Bolognese. Going Romance 34, Université Paris 8/Online, Paris, France.
- Low Focus, Free Inversion, and Phase Heads in Bolognese, at Cambridge Italian Dialects Syntax Morphology Meeting 14, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic.
- When low Foc0 is a Phase Head, at Cambridge Comparative Syntax 8, Cambridge University, Cambridge, England.
- Dative Experiencers and (Non-)Obligatory Clitic-Doubling in Bolognese, Invited talk at Anglia Ruskin - Cambridge Romance Linguistics Seminars, University of Cambridge. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 05/02/2019.
- NELS 49, Free inversion with blocking of Agree by low Foc0: Evidence from Bolognese. Poster, Presented, 10/06/2018.
- Clitic-doubling with Type 3 Psych-Verbs in Bulgnais. At the 31st Going Romance, Bucharest, Romania.
- Obligatory Clitic-Doubling in a Non-Clitic-Doubling Language, Dept. of Linguistics, University of Southern California. Other, Presented, 11/13/2017.
- CLS 2017: Adverbial Nominals and Case.
- Licensing Adverbial Nominals, at the 34th Incontro di Grammatica Generativa, Pavia, Italy.
- “Uniform Structural Licensing of NP Adverbials,” at the 17th International Conference on Generative Grammar, Seoul, Korea.
- "Minimalist Bare-NP Adverbs" at 16th Seoul International Conference on Generative Grammar.
- Accusative Case and Maximality.
- Bolognese Dialect Research. PI: Edward Rubin. College of Humanities International Travel Fund, 06/13/2017 - 06/24/2017. Total project budget to date: $1,500.00
- Ancient Greek (to 1453), functional.
- French, functional.
- German, basic.
- Italian, fluent.
- Latin, functional.
- Romanian, basic.
- Spanish, functional.
- Edward J. Rubin (2021). PCC Effects with Expletives and Non-Associate Postverbal Subjects in Bolognese. Isogloss. Accepted, 09/23/2021.
- Rubin, Edward J. 2019. Free inversion with blocking of Agree by low Foc0: Evidence from Bolognese. In M. Baird and J. Pesetsky (eds.) NELS 49, Volume 3. Pgg. 97-106. GLSA, Department of Linguistics, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Edward J. Rubin (2018). Obligatory dative clitic-doubling of type III experiencers in Bulgnaiṡ. Linguistic Society of America.
- Proceedings of the 34th West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics, Cascadilla Press, Somerville MA. (with A. F. Kaplan, A. S. Kaplan, and M. McCarvel).
- “Uniform Structural Licensing of NP Adverbials,” in Proceedings of the 17th Seoul International Conference on Generative Grammar, T.-S. Kim and S. Ha (Eds), Korean Generative Grammar Circle, Seoul, pp. 426-441. Published, 10/2015.
- Theoretical and Experimental Approaches to Romance Linguistics, Current Issues in Linguistic Theory 272. John Benjamins, Amsterdam. Published, 09/2005.
- "Determining Pair-Merge", Linguistic Inquiry 34.4. Published, 09/2003.
- “The Role of Functional Categories in Bilingual Children's Language Mixing and Differentiation,” in World Englishes 15.3, pp. 385-393. (with A. Toribio.). Published, 09/1997.