Research Professor Emeritus, Geology & Geophysics
- Utah Geological Survey & U.S. Geological Survey.
Member, Working Group on Utah Earthquake Probabilities (ongoing, multiyear project).
02/2010 - 12/2015
Honors & Awards
- 2015 Frank Press Public Service Award (for extraordinary public service in modernizing, expanding, and promoting seismic monitoring for public safety in the United States).
Seismological Society of America,
- Alfred E. Alquist Special Recognition Medal (for contributions to advancing seismic safety in the United States and in the state of Utah, and for bridging the fields of education, seismology and public policy).
Earthquake Engineering Research Institute,
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Earthquake Risk Reduction.
Western States Seismic Policy Council,
- John Wesley Powell Award (for significant contributions in advancing national earthquake monitoring and earthquake safety).
U.S. Geological Survey,
- Alumni Award of Excellence for Science.
- Outstanding Service Award.
Utah Seismic Safety Commission,
- Governor's Medal for Science and Technology.
State of Utah,
- Distinguished Faculty Research Award.
University of Utah Dept of Geology & Geophysics,
- Three-year Postdoctoral Fellowship.
New Zealand National Research Advisory Council,
- Hamilton Award (for academic achievement in science).
- Scholar of the College and Order of the Cross and Crown (for exceptional academic achievement).
Earthquake Engineering Research Institute
01/1990 - present
Utah Geological Association
01/1984 - present
Seismological Society of America
01/1974 - present
Geological Society of America
01/1970 - present
American Geophysical Union
01/1969 - present