Research Professor Emeritus,
Geology & Geophysics,
University of Utah
- B.S. 1964,
Geology, summa cum laude,
- M.S. 1966,
California Institute of Technology
- Ph.D. 1971,
Geology and Geophysics,
California Institute of Technology.
Project: Geological and Geophysical Studies of the Atacama Fault Zone in Northern Chile
Honors & Awards
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Earthquake Risk Reduction.
Western States Seismic Policy Council,
- John Wesley Powell Award (for significant contributions in advancing national earthquake monitoring and earthquake safety).
U.S. Geological Survey,
- Alumni Award of Excellence for Science.
- Outstanding Service Award.
Utah Seismic Safety Commission,
- Governor's Medal for Science and Technology.
State of Utah,
- Distinguished Faculty Research Award.
University of Utah Dept of Geology & Geophysics,
- Three-year Postdoctoral Fellowship.
New Zealand National Research Advisory Council,
- Hamilton Award (for academic achievement in science).
- Scholar of the College and Order of the Cross and Crown (for exceptional academic achievement).
Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI),
01/1990 - present
Utah Geological Association (UGA),
01/1984 - present
Seismological Society of America (SSA),
01/1974 - present
Geological Society of America (GSA),
01/1970 - present
American Geophysical Union (AGU),
01/1969 - present
Geographical Regions of Interest